Can't scan with newest August 4th updates

Hi, all!

I downloaded and started using Malwarebytes about two weeks ago and I have been very impressed. When I first downloaded it, it managed to quickly find about four problems on my computer and I was able to get rid of them. Yesterday, I noticed the computer acting slower again and so I downloaded the August 4th updates and started a scan. After a very short time, a windows error message came up telling me that it was sorry for the inconvenience but a problem had arisen with Malwarebytes and it needed to shut down. I tried uninstalling, cleaning with the Malwarebytes cleaning tool and reinstalling and that did not work. I tried using it in safe mode and it did not work. I just tried the program unupdated using the April updates that came with the latest version of the software and it scanned all the way through. Could there be a problem with the August 4th updates?

Thank you for your help.

Ben

Latest database is not causing any trouble for me on Windows 7 Pro x64.

Please reinstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware by following the instructions below:

1. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.
  2. Restart your computer.
  3. Download and run this utility to make sure that everything was removed (it is possible that you may see an error while running it, please note that this is normal and it just means that a part of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware that it was trying to remove had already been completely removed by the uninstaller).
  4. Please allow the utility you ran in the previous step to restart your computer. If you do not, then please restart your computer manually before proceeding to the next step.
  5. Download a fresh copy of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware by clicking this link to be forwarded to one of our download mirrors (such as Download.com or MajorGeeks), and then install it.
  6. (users of the free version can skip this step)
    If you have purchased a license, then you will need to register Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again with your ID and Key. If you need assistance with this, then please let me know.

check my post today, i had pretty much the same issue, but I was able to get it fixed by changing the "Language for non-unicode programs" back to "English"(Control Panel->Regional and Language Options). It was set to non-enligh language though so not sure if you have the same case.

It does looks like the newest update is causing issues for both of us though because mbm never gave me any trouble till now.

GT500,

Thank you very much for the reply. Unfortunately, I had and have already tried everything you suggested and the results were and are the same. Perhaps warblah's post might be of some help to the developers of the latest update. I will check back again to see if there is something that can be done. Bad timing for me as I really just started using this software very recently and was liking it. Now, I can only scan when the latest update is not added.

Hi, warblah.

Just read your other thread posts. Yup. Looks like the same problem. As I wrote, I don't have the option of switching language setting in my computer. I guess I will just check back in here to see if the problem can be resolved with the next update. Again, bad timing for me as I just got to using and liking the software.

Glad to know it is not my computer!

Thanks for the replies. I am heading for bed. I stayed up way too late trying to figure this out.

Have a great day!

check my post today, i had pretty much the same issue, but I was able to get it fixed by changing the "Language for non-unicode programs" back to "English"(Control Panel->Regional and Language Options). It was set to non-enligh language though so not sure if you have the same case.

It does looks like the newest update is causing issues for both of us though because mbm never gave me any trouble till now.

Hi, I'm new to the forum but I just wanted to say that I had the same issue and as warblah said, changing my language setting back to English seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks for the suggestion warblah.

Lets get some extra debug info for the developers. :)

Please download DebugView from the following link, and follow the instructions below to get me an error log:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896647.aspx

1. Download DebugView. Make sure to save it on your Desktop instead of clicking 'Run' or 'Open'.
  2. Right-click on the 'DebugView' file that you just saved on your Desktop, and select "Extract All".
  3. Open the new DebugView folder that was created on your Desktop after extracting.
  4. Windows XP and 2000 users should double-click on the file named 'Dbgview'. Windows 7 and Vista users should right-click and select "Run as Administrator".
  5. Click on the 'Capture' menu, and select everything except "Log Boot" (you will have to open the menu again after clicking to select an item).
  6. Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and run the same scan you were trying to run before.
  7. After Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware crashes, please switch back to DebugView, and then click 'File' and "Save As" in order to save the log to a file on your Desktop.
  8. Please attach that log file to a reply so that we may analyze it for errors. Note that you may need to ZIP it in order to attach it, but you can also save it as a Text File and it should allow you to attach it.

GT500,

I did as you requested and I am attaching a log of debug for your developers to have a look at.

ETA: After all that I am being told by your site I am not permitted to upload this type of file :)

So, I will copy and paste it for you instead. I hope that is sufficient.

===================

00000000 0.00000000 MBAMSwissArmy!ProcessNTFSIndexData: ProcessNTFSAttributeData (INDEX_ALLOCATION) failed with status 0xc0000034

00000001 0.00000681 MBAMSwissArmy!GetNTFSIndexEntryByName: No index entry for "Local Settings" found in file record 3520

00000002 0.00001380 MBAMSwissArmy!EnumerateNTFSDirectory: OpenNTFSFileRecordByName( "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Local Settings\Application Data" ) failed with status 0xc0000034

00000003 0.00002042 MBAMSwissArmy!HandleIoctlEnumerate: EnumerateDirectory( "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Local Settings\Application Data" ) failed on query operation with status 0xc0000034

00000004 1.99220753 MBAMSwissArmy!DispatchDeviceControl: Invalid volume (\:) in input "\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe"

00000005 2.21512794 MBAMSwissArmy!DispatchDeviceControl: Invalid volume (\:) in input "\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe"

@ ben_jackinov -

Did your brother (or friend) ask if there was a way to D/load Malwarebytes previously onto a Japanese computer ??

I remember AdvancedSetup responding to a similar item that unless you could alter the language settings it could not be done at this time -

This would need to be done each time you ran/updated it as it would not recognise the program -

Thank You -

noknojon,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm sorry. I don't understand your first question. As I mentioned in my first post, I intially downloaded and installed Malwarebytes onto my Japanese OS computer on July 23rd or so and used it perfectly fine until the August 4th update. Also, this is not my brother or friend. It is my computer.

I'm sorry again, as I also do not understand your comment about Advanced Setup Responding as, as I mentioned earlier, there are no options, either during setup or after install, of using a Japanese interface. I use English interfaces on other software just fine on my computer. As such, I did not mind using an English interface with Malwarebytes. That is, until the August 4th update.

Please understand. I am able to download and install the latest version of Malwarebytes and I am able to update it to the August 4th update. I am also able to run the program. However, as mentioned above, the program then crashes.

I have posted a debug log above.

Again, thank you so much for responding. However, I am unclear as to what you are trying to say.

I should add again that there is no option in either the setup process or in the program for the Japanese language. I was actually surprised to note this. In general, this is not a problem for me as I can freely use English. However, it seems that the latest updates don't work with a Japanese OS. I wonder how other Asian language users (for example: the simplefied Chinese users) are finding things with the new August 4th updates.

Thanks for your reply -

This is only due to a related request a short while back -

It was obviously not you (sorry) but thank you for the answer - ;)

AdvancedSetup in an Administrator on the forum (to clear that up) -

Just to add , there has as yet been no items posted on the forum relating to the other (Chinese etc.) users that I have seen -

EDIT - At this time it is database Version 4396 - Just for general information only -

Thanks for the clarification of your posts.

Actually, the database version is currently up to 4397. I just updated it and still have the same problem :)

Well, I will keep checking. I assume all the developers are probably off work right now as it is probably night where they are. It would be nice to be able to use this great software again.

Haider,

Thanks for the reply. I had no trouble installing the software any of the times that I have done so. It was easy to set it for English right from the beginning. Until the August 4th updates and since them, I cannot scan. I don't feel comfortable changing settings in the registry unless specifically asked to do so. In fact, I am not sure it would help since the program is set to English and it reads just fine and did so throughout the entire installation process (all the many times I have done it since this started happening :) So, I think I will wait and see what develops.

I would like to specifically say that I appreciate all the work that goes into making such a wonderful piece of software and I look forward to the time when I will be able to use it again, too.

Thanks Ben: Do one more attempt of scanning with (Heuristics Shuriken Disabled) it isn't going to hurt in anyway, this is what has changed on August 4, 2010 besides the database which is constantly updated

1. Click on Settings
  2. Click on Scanner Settings
  3. Uncheck Enable advanced heuristics engine (Heuristics Shuriken)

Give it a shot and let us know please!

Haider,

Thanks again! As you suggested, I will give a summary of the events since the August 4th update. On August 4th, I updated as I have done for the past couple of weeks using this wonderful product. However, that time the program would crash and I would receive the notice from Windows telling me Malawarebytes would have to shutdown. Interestingly, it was only the scanning itself that would shut down. Basically, once it became apparent that Malwarebyte would not scan anymore. I uninstalled, used the Malwarebyte cleaning program and redownloaded and reinstalled. This kept happening over and over. It happened in safe mode as well. Then I tried Haider's suggestion to disable the advanced heuristics engine I was able to scan successfully.

I have a Japanese OS and this seems to be part of, if not all of, the problem.

I still want to say what a wonderful product you have and that I appreciate all the time and effort that goes into making such a helpful product.

Thanks to everyone that posted their suggestions. I will keep checking back to see what changes might come along. The error log from the debugging program is still on this thread for the reference of developers. I hope it is helpful to all concerned.

Have a great day!

Ben

hi got the same problem also on scanning, crashes on same item "user.exe" no viruses found with nis 2010 and superantispyware.

system:

windows xp sp2

japanese unicode

mbam version 1.46

updates august 6 2010 same day problem started

scanned with advanced heuristic engine -CRASHED

scanned again with advanced heuristic off -NO CRASH

hopefully it will be resolved :)