themed32.dll missing problem

Hello, a week or so ago i started to get an error saying "Themed32.dll cannot be found, reinstalling the application may fix the problem", this pops up everytime i start my computer or attempt to start any programs, i have nothing appearing on my desktop other than my background image and the only way to start things is to go to task manager > new task > browse. Ive looked at some of the topics here with similar problems and they all mentioned that if anyone has a similiar problem then they should create their own topic, so here i am. Any and all help is appreciated.

• Staff

Hi,

If you get the message themed32.dll is missing then it's because your uxtheme.dll got replaced here with a malicious copy.

To solve this easily, open taskmanager (CTRL-ALT-DEL), click the error messages away.

Then go to File in the menu > new task > browse button.

When the browse window opens (explorer), select "All files" for File s of type:

Then, browse to your C:\windows\system32 folder and find uxtheme.dll in there. Rename that file to uxtheme.bad

Normally, Windows should already restore it with a new clean uxtheme.dll (from dllcache) automatically there. You can verify this if you rightclick inside the system32 folder and select refresh. A new uxtheme.dll should be created there.

If not, navigate to your C:\windows\system32\dllcache folder and COPY the one from there back to your system32 folder.

Or, another option is, this infection, before it has replaced the uxtheme.dll with a malicious version, it has first renamed the legitimate uxtheme.dll to uxtheme.dll~RF1ede9.TMP (last part may be random)

So the uxtheme.dll~RF1ede9.TMP (last part may be random) is also still present in the system32 folder. That's the good uxtheme.dll as well. So you can also rename that one back to uxtheme.dll.

Anyway, your choice which one to use to restore :D

Then reboot and all should be fixed again...

Extra note..

Please update MalwareBytes, because the databaseversion AND program version is outdated.

• Start MalwareBytes and click the Update tab. There click "Check for updates"
  • Once the updates are downloaded, perform a quick scan again.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Extra Note:

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediatly.