Getting A File To Autorun On A USB Drive

franki

I have a weblink that i would like to open automatically when the usb thumb drive is inserted into the computer. How would I go about doing that? I have tried using google to find the answer but everything I have tried has not worked. So far, this is the furthest I can get and it still is not working properly. I will use this website as the example:

[autorun]

shellexecute=http://www.malwarebytes.org

These are the only two command lines I can come up with. I don't understand stuff like this very well. All I want is to have a file where I can get the page to autoload without me clicking on anything after inserting the usb thumb drive. I have using windows xp home edition sp3.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings :welcome:

Please try the following:

• Open you flash drive and right-click on a blank area of space and hover your mouse over New and select Shortcut
  • When it asks for the location, type in the web address of the site you want it to open (for the example you gave it would be http://www.malwarebytes.org)
  • Click Next
  • Name the shortcut whatever you like, for my example I'll use the name Link

Open your Autorun.inf file contained in the root of your flash drive and edit the line to point to the shortcut you created by name followed by the extension url, so in the example I gave it would indicate Link.url

The line in the Autorun.inf file would look like the following:

open=Link.url

That should do it. For additional info on editing and using Autorun.inf please refer to the resources here and here.

thanks for the help on this topic. i must not be saving the autorun.inf file to the root directory on the usb card because it still is not working.

how do i know if the file is saved in the root directory on the card? i assumed it meant to just save the file within the card itself and not in some folder located on said card?