antivirus2008Pro removal

Caz

Hi, I've been directed here by YoKenny from Securitycadets .......

Problem with my daughters laptop, she innocently downloaded antivirus2008Pro thinking it was an Antivirus Programme. Now we can't get rid of it ......

We can connect to the net, but when it comes to going onto Sites to get help for removal, they load so far then just totally stop. What I need to know is can I download the Anti Malware or the Rogueremover to my system, hopefully burn onto cdrom and try removing it on her system this way?

HJT Log is out of question as she doesn't have the programme on her system, and as I've said, cannot connect to sites to get it.

• Root Admin

Yes you can download Malewarebytes and burn the installer to CD then install it on the affected computer and run it. It should let you run it even if it can't connect to update itself.

Give that a try. Once installed do a QUICK SCAN not a Full Scan.

When it's done if you can please post back the LOG results.

Hi, I've been directed here by YoKenny from Securitycadets .......

Problem with my daughters laptop, she innocently downloaded antivirus2008Pro thinking it was an Antivirus Programme. Now we can't get rid of it ......

We can connect to the net, but when it comes to going onto Sites to get help for removal, they load so far then just totally stop. What I need to know is can I download the Anti Malware or the Rogueremover to my system, hopefully burn onto cdrom and try removing it on her system this way?

HJT Log is out of question as she doesn't have the programme on her system, and as I've said, cannot connect to sites to get it.

You can get HJT the same way you are asking if you can get MBAM. Post the logs in this forum please http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7

Yes you can download Malewarebytes and burn the installer to CD then install it on the affected computer and run it. It should let you run it even if it can't connect to update itself.

Give that a try. Once installed do a QUICK SCAN not a Full Scan.

When it's done if you can please post back the LOG results.

You can also download an installer for the definitions file: (in the event you need to burn it to cd-r and take it to a noninternet enabled computer):

http://malwarebytes.gt500.org/database.jsp

You can run the mbam setup, and uncheck both boxes on the installer, before pressing finish. Next, run the mbam signature installer you got from the above url, and perform a quick scan. A full scan can be used later if you wish, but a quickscan will usually do the job well for you.

Thanks again to 1972vet for helping me, system running sweetly, apart from one niggling thing *well it's niggling at me anyway* I can't for the life of me find the Restore Point, Defrag stuff in System Tools on Start/Progs ..... it seems to have vanished of the face of the earth, or the laptop if you like.

Anyone point me in the right direction to find these in system files, so i can get them back if they are still there obviously.

I know i'm probably going to be looking for .exe files, but I got no clue what they are named and I did look and there are millions of windows files so I am not going there without someone pointing me in right direction lol.

Thanks again to 1972vet for his help and assistance.

Right click on Local Disk C and choose properties for the defrag, be sure you do a disk check for errors before running defrag.

System Restore can be accessed via the Control Panel and System Restore, or by going to the Help Menu. No they are not .exe files.