no end to quick scan

I have downloaded and updated the program over and over thinking maybe I have a bad copy, but nothing

I run a quick scan and I will go to back and check it the next day, over 10 hours of scanning and not finished, scans extremely slow.

Longest i have let it run is almost 20 hours before stopping it.

I have never had a problem in the past running this great program, but since the last big update I can't complete a scan

I appoligizes.

I am running XP Professional. but the windows edition has extra stuff all combined.

-Windows XP Pro service pack 3

-Media Center 2005

-Tablet PC 2005

The system is a dell xps m140 laptop almost 5 years old now.

1.73 ghz centrino

1.99 gig ddr2 sd ram

250 gig HD Western Digital

I am not currently running an anti virus I keep malware byte up all the time another backround checking problem. Haven't had a virus in almost a year "knock on wood"

This has been a decent system

Hello quickdiversion,

To begin with, it is a bad practise not to have any antivirus software on your system. MBAM is designed as an antimalware solution. So, please consider installing one. You can refer to this post by one of our experts, and try out some of them. Remember that you only need one antivirus running at your system.

Please do the following to have a clean reinstall of MBAM:

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Have a quick scan to see if the problem exists.

If it does, then please do the following:

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows XP:

• Click Start and open My Computer
  • Right-click on C: and select Properties
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
  • Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer
  • Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so

After that, try a quick scan again to see if it now works.

Please let us know what, if any of this, resolved the issue or if you still have the problem after following the above steps.

Thank you.