Hotmail + Firefox

Ibrad

Starting this morning I can not get Hotmail to work, all the other PC's in the house work fine with hotmail. The only difference between all the machines is I am running Firefox and all the other machines are running IE. Anyone else seeing this?

No problem for me but then I do not use Firefox.

Hotmail has changed:

Microsoft Announces Long-Awaited Hotmail Update

http://www.technewsdaily.com/microsoft-announces-long-awaited-hotmail-update-0583

Major MSN Hotmail Update to Windows Live Hotmail

http://www.quickonlinetips.com/archives/2007/05/major-msn-hotmail-update-to-windows-live-hotmail

Are you still having this problem Ibrad? I've just seen this post and tested Firefox 3.5.9 - I can login to Windlows live and use hotmail with no problems as usual. I use Adblock + & NoScript and do not allow anything more than what NoScript whitelists by default, btw.

I've never heard of having to download an application to access one's Hotmail before. What version of Firefox are you running, Ibrad? I am running 3.5.9

I am running 3.6.3, the only other thing I can think of is that I have not yet updated my Microsoft .net Framwork thing to the latest version. I will try updating that to see if that is what is stopping hotmail from loading.

Hmm, I don't know, but that might be it! If the .net Framework needs an update, you should update it. Are you talking about an update on .net framework for your machine though or for Firefox? I've disabled any Firefox plugins with .net framework assistant in them due to a past-reported security issue with them.

I haven't upgraded my Firefox yet but when I do I'll post back here and report. I am waiting another month or so before I upgrade. As 3.5.x is supported till August of this year, I am not concerned about upgrading quite yet. :)

I haven't had any problems all day. Also the app isn't needed, but more of a convenience.:)

Edit: What version of Windows are you using? Do you mean the .net framework plugin for Firefox or the framework itself for windows? If your running Windows Xp(all updates) +, you should be running "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86/64" Unless your using Visual Studio 2010 products, then you will have "Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0(Such as myself)

This is really weird. Hmmm.

I logged into my Hotmail on a Vista recently w/ Firefox and had no issues. When did this start and for how long has it been happening?

It started yesterday right around the time Microsoft was going to release a security update and ever since then I can't access it. I just cleaned the cache and it did not solve anything I am going to see if internet explorer can still access it from my machine.

I have just tested IE and it works fine with IE. No system changes made by me, Windows automatically installed an updated but that's all.

Update: Well that's odd after using IE Firefox came back to working as its normal self. This has just been the weirdest thing ever. The only thing I now notice is that the ad's are not working on the side of the Hotmail site (maybe a buggy ad was mesing it up?) well thanks for all the suggestions everyone. This was just super odd.

It started yesterday right around the time Microsoft was going to release a security update and ever since then I can't access it. I just cleaned the cache and it did not solve anything I am going to see if internet explorer can still access it from my machine.

I assume the server was buggy.

Wide Glide Firefox 3.5.x is still supported for anyone who does not wish to update to Firefox 3.6.x just yet. I'm just adding this for anyone who hasn't upgraded so they know that the previous version is still supported with updates. Anyone still running 3.5 should have the latest update which is 3.5.9.

EDIT - Ibrad in the time it took me to reply (I got distracted) I see you've resolved it. Yay! Very strange indeed! I've removed what I wrote since it isn't relevant anymore.

• 3 weeks later...