[Introduction] Opium

Opium

I'm Opium, and I'm a HJT Trainee at Hack Forums. I'm also involved in other projects involving HJT including the team at Support Forums, and also at Certified Ethical Hackers. I'm not yet qualified to work as a malware removalist, but in time, I will achieve the necessary qualifications. I must say, I enjoy very much being a part of the Hack Forums training program - I've learned so much about the application and malware in general. When I am qualified, it will open many doors for me as far as Malwarebytes.org goes - I hope to, one day, become an Expert to help out in the fight against malware.

I joined Malwarebytes.org because it's a forum targeted at my goals and aspirations as a computing enthusiast. MBAM, as a program, is absolutely incredible - I'm just stoked to be able to help out here. I also joined Malwarebytes.org to learn more about the latest threats. I'm all about expanding my knowledge, and this is a great resource to do just that. So, really, I'm here to learn, and to help (when I'm qualified).

I don't know if Malwarebytes.org will certify me to help out, as I'm from Hack Forums (which isn't currently an ASAP website, I believe), but the training program there is almost identical to that of BleepingComputer's - our teachers all went through that training program and are ASAP certified members. When I complete my training, I won't give up on Malwarebytes.org if I'm not allowed to help out - it's still a really great resource and I would love to offer assistance of any kind.

Anyhow, to tell you a bit about myself, I'm fifteen years of age and I'm from Brisbane, Australia. I've been fanatical about computers since grade 3, and I enjoy spending my free time on forums. Forums are my life - I absolutely love them. I'm currently active at over 10 forums, but I won't list them. Oh, and by the way, I'm also part of a new forum network that's just hit the scene. I've been granted the position of Chief of Moderation, and it's my job to see that the network's main forum is operating safely. The network is a group of about 20+ forums, all under the one name (forums of all different kinds, braught together by one brand name). I don't know if I'm allowed to advertise it, but it's pretty cool - you might want to check it out. PM me if you'd like more information.

As far as school goes, I'm an academic under a scholarship to the fifth best school (when it comes to academic ratings) in Queensland (Australian state). I'm really privileged to be going there, and it'll do wonders for my hopes and aspirations - I want to become a software engineer or system's architect. Java programming seems to be earning people over $230000 a year - what could be better than doing something you love and getting paid that much?

One of the biggest parts of my life, at the moment, is volleyball. I'm currently attending the Queensland Academy of Sports under the Volleyball Australia Elite Development Program. This means, I have volleyball training (currently) three days a week, for three hours a day. It's making time management and juggling school a nightmare, but I enjoy the sport and have been given the opportunity to go further with it. Next year, I'm expected to make the Tier 1 program, which will mean I'd have to dedicate five hours of training, five days a week (25 hours in total) to volleyball. That'd completely mess with my schooling - my life would be 'volleyball, school, sleep'. Repeat. It's pretty much like that at the moment, except forums and chilling out online comes into it.

Sorry for carrying on - I do that sometimes. Anyway, as far as I go online, I like to be a very professional, courteous, and informative member. I try to make high-quality posts wherever possible. I'm a friendly person, and love to chat on MSN. So if you'd like to find out more about me or my intentions, hit me up on IM.

That'll be all for me at the moment. I look forward to getting to know you all!

Cheers.

Welcome Opium

Please use ADDREPLY not " REPLY when responding to posts as it duplicates the referenced post.

I would not post my email address in my signature as there are spammers and scammers that would love to have you in their email lists.

You will learn a lot here.

Welcome Opium

Please use ADDREPLY not " REPLY when responding to posts as it duplicates the referenced post.

I would not post my email address in my signature as there are spammers and scammers that would love to have you in their email lists.

You will learn a lot here.

Hi, YoKenny1.

Thank-you very much for the welcoming! Are you saying that there is a bug with the 'Reply' option? Or are you just saying that 'Reply' quotes the directed post? I understand how it works.

Anyhow, I look forward to getting to know yourself and other members in the near future.

Thanks.

Hello Opium, welcome to the forum :)

Apart from what YoKenny1 said, just to add my 2 cents here.

You can improve your canned speech for asking the forum members to check their system in the malware removal forum by also introducing the user to read the post I'm infected - What do I do now?. This is an detailed step-by-step for members to do before posting in the forum.

Thank-you very much for the welcoming! Are you saying that there is a bug with the 'Reply' option? Or are you just saying that 'Reply' quotes the directed post? I understand how it works.

'Reply' quotes the directed post :)

Sometimes we do prevent the long scroll to read the members' replies before reading again what inside the quotes (You had read those before, right?).

You can quote the important part(s) you want to address (like what I did here).

This is a good skill while replying to users in your malware removal life :blink:

Anyway, welcome aboard again and enjoy here :)

Cheers, gtyhfy.

Yeah, I usually only 'Reply' when I'm addressing a previous post, but I'll keep it in mind. Also, thank-you for the information about the conned speech. I've got about fifty that'll need rewording if I'm accepted onto the team after my training - currently, everything's worded for Hack Forums. That'll be fun - not.

Thanks again for the welcome!

Sorry, while I'm at it, is there a thread I can read to find out more about the Malwarebytes.org Forum usergroups (Translators, Experts, etc)? I searched but couldn't find anything.

Thanks.

Sorry, while I'm at it, is there a thread I can read to find out more about the Malwarebytes.org Forum usergroups (Translators, Experts, etc)? I searched but couldn't find anything.

Thanks.

Hello Opium, and welcome to malwarebytes.org :)

There is some information about user groups here:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=12264

Honorary Members are members who have made more than 50 posts.

Information about the Malware Hunters group is here:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=31139

To be quite honest, I'm not sure of the exact difference between a Malware Hunter and a Rogue Reporter. But both groups specialize in submitting new malware samples to the research center for analysis.

I hope this helps. :)

Hello Opium, and welcome to malwarebytes.org :)

There is some information about user groups here:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=12264

Honorary Members are members who have made more than 50 posts.

Information about the Malware Hunters group is here:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=31139

To be quite honest, I'm not sure of the exact difference between a Malware Hunter and a Rogue Reporter. But both groups specialize in submitting new malware samples to the research center for analysis.

I hope this helps. :P

Thank-you very much. This was very informative.

Yeah, I agree with you. However, the HJT section is of a top quality with many qualified helpers and teachers.