MBAM causes Bitdefender to reinstall

Hello,

I have a problem with installing Malwarebyte's Antimalware. Until a few months back, I was using Eset NOD32 together with MBAM, and both worked together wonderfully well. But now I am using Bitdefender Total Security 2010, and I find problems with using MBAM. I could install it, but every time I open it, Bitdefender installation window shows up and it begins to reinstall automatically. It happens all the time. What could be the reason? I very much want to use Antimalware, but I like the other one too. Is there any way I can eliminate this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am using WinXP SP3. Thanks.

I supsect it may be corruption in the installation info in the registry causing this. Please uninstall BitDefender per the instructions here then do the following to cleanly remove and reinstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

After that's done, reinstall BitDefender and update it then see if the programs will work correctly together now.

Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks <_<

I supsect it may be corruption in the installation info in the registry causing this. Please uninstall BitDefender per the instructions here then do the following to cleanly remove and reinstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

After that's done, reinstall BitDefender and update it then see if the programs will work correctly together now.

Please let me know how it goes.

Hello,

Thanks for replying.

You say that I should uninstall BD. At what point should I reinstall it?

I say this because at one point you said:

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

* Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version

* Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

How can I disable Anti Virus when it is already uninstalled?

Dear Samuel,

I followed your directions, and this is what happened:

Yes, I was able to install MBAM, but I made a mistake. I launched MBAM without setting exclusions in BD. My mistake. Before I could stop it, there was Bitdefender re-installing.

It re- installed automatically, and this time I set exclusions, and then everything was OK. So there is some kind of incompatibility, which can be overcome by never allowing BD to monitor MBAM.

What should I do now? Now that I caused BD to once again re-install, should I uninstall everything and go all over the whole process once again? Both the programs work now without problems, but I am worried what might have happened during that automatic re-reinstalling. What do you say?

By the way, I ran MBAM and found, among other things, six Trojans that had been residing peacefully with BD!