Adware.WebHancer

Blue452

Can anyone attach a copy of the file "C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper\welcome\AWhelper.dll", so we can review this again?

Thanks

We will remove detection temporary and re-add again if needed (after review).

I tried and your system says I am "not allowed to upload this type of file".

I am trying again on this post.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Staff

Ok thanks. Detection has been removed in a meanwhile. It will be re-added if needed (if it's a "critical" adware component). If harmless, then no need to re-add detection.

In either way, if you already deleted it, there's nothing to worry about as this wont break anything. After all, some other scanners have been detecting this files for months.

Oh, in case this means anything, I have run MB full scan a couple time since reporting here and AWhelper.dll is still detected as MW but, those registry entries it caught then (listed in my previous post) have not been reported since. ???

• Staff

Can you post a developers scan log please?

1. Click the Start Menu.

2. Click Run.

3. Type in "mbam.exe /developer", without the quotes.

4. Run the same type of scan you did before and save the logfile and post it.

Never mind, it should be fixed in next update. It wasn't in this one yet. :)

No change:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.45

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 3947

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13

4/2/2010 12:25:01 PM

mbam-log-2010-04-02 (12-25-01).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|)

Objects scanned: 187325

Time elapsed: 30 minute(s), 27 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 3

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{106CF321-99A3-4E3A-9103-1BD027606A99}\RP444\A0092157.dll (AdWare.WebHancer) -> No action taken.

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{106CF321-99A3-4E3A-9103-1BD027606A99}\RP445\A0093043.dll (AdWare.WebHancer) -> No action taken.

C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper\welcome\AWhelper.dll (AdWare.WebHancer) -> No action taken.

I don't mean to beat this horse to death but, I have a couple dozen System Restore points going back to Feb. and yet MB is only picking up, what I presume to be the offending AWhelper.dll file, in two of them. Is MB basing it's finding on attributes instead of file content? Sorry, just a curious thought here.

p.s. Was DB ver. 3947 suppose to fix the false positive?

To those of you who have quarantined the related registry entries, can I clarify this: You have rebooted your systems since and your computers are fine? Is that correct?

In answer to Amethyst's post #25, I currently have these items in quarantine as shown below and upon reboot/shutdown, my computer is fine. We always turn off the computer when not in use and so far, no problems.

Registry Keys Infected:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{661e32fd-a5f0-49bc-96cc-d872fe10a7dc} (AdWare.WebHancer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{3296405e-e08f-4442-801e-3dcd2c6aa82c} (AdWare.WebHancer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{bf0118d4-63ff-4138-9327-f3028fb1a578} (AdWare.WebHancer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:

C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper\welcome\AWhelper.dll (AdWare.WebHancer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HP Computer

XP, SP3

IE8

I sure hope my posts made sense and I haven't offended anyone. I don't want to be a pain but, A question w/o an answer makes me lose sleep. lol Anyway here goes again; Can one rely on the dates Windows Explorer displays? I just want to know if a file can be modified or one added on the Windows file system without the dates reflecting that operation? I know it sounds like a MS question but, I have asked before on other forums and have not received a definitive answer.

Thanks for allowing me to post here.

Also, I ran MB scan this a.m. with DB 3949 and all's quiet on the southeastern front.

My question: Since the latest database is currently no longer flagging these files and I have these files in quarantine, would you recommend that I restore them or just leave them in quarantine for now? I'm not sure what to do.

Thank you.

Registry Keys Infected:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{661e32fd-a5f0-49bc-96cc-d872fe10a7dc} (AdWare.WebHancer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{3296405e-e08f-4442-801e-3dcd2c6aa82c} (AdWare.WebHancer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{bf0118d4-63ff-4138-9327-f3028fb1a578} (AdWare.WebHancer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:

C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper\welcome\AWhelper.dll (AdWare.WebHancer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.