Wifi performance need help

davidki

I'll try to make this as easy as I can. I am running XP Home on a Gateway portable, the portable has a Intel Pro wireless card inside ... a few days ago I got hit with a trojan XP Antivirus 2010 or something close to that. I have used malwarebytes, Avast, Symantic antivirus corporate and Spysweeper and it looks like I"ve got rid of the trojan as far as I can see....

I've read here on the forums and taken all the tips I can to clean up the pc but I'm having one issue allso.

In using my internal wifi card my performance is half of what it use to be, we have a 10mb line but it actually gets me anyware from 12mb to 15 mb depending on the time of day (charter cable) since I got hit with this trojan on the internal card I am cut down to 5.8mb max no matter what speedtest use. My up speed is fine and is 2 MB.

Now in my house I have 2 routers (always have I guess it is a router and AP) and both have worked fine and given me my full speed. all the other computers including my wifes portable with Wifi is all working fine.

Now not to confuse the issue, but if I put in my external Dlink card I am getting full speed when I go to the AP (ATT 108mb) but when i go to my main router motorola router that is tied directly to my modem I get the same speed reduction to 5.8mb. So, It seems like my home set up is good, working with all the other PC's it is my notebook that is affectted ... I also find that I keep loosing connection to the AP way to much... it drops and then picks up again.

So, I am wondering if anyone here can help me try to figure this out, it's got me stumped for sure. I can post HJ log if need be

Thanks

Dave

Hello davidki, and welcome to Malwarebytes.org

To be sure that you have removed all the infections correctly and that is not was is causing your problem please follow the instructions below....

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

Please note that it may take 72 hours or more for you to receive a response in the malware removal forum, as it is often busy at times. Please do not reply to your own post asking for help unless its been more than 72 hours since you originally posted, as this can make it appear as though you are being helped and take longer for you to get help.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

If you are a corporate customer please send an email to corporate-support@malwarebytes.org. (NOTE: An order number is required for corporate support.)