Odd problem with network connection?

I think I have some odd problem or some sort of mal-ware or virus. Perhaps you all could help me out.

It all started when I tried to update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware a few days ago. It won't work. I keep getting this message:

"An error occurred: Please report the following error code to the

Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware support team.

Error Code: 732 (12029, 0)"

I've tried uninstalled and reinstalling and trying that program that completely removes the program and then reinstalling, all to no avail. The problem has grown since then. I cannot get onto Steam to play online and my iTunes player won't connect to the iTunes store. I also tried to update Avast and the program said that it couldn't connect to the server. My internet connection is fine, and I can surf easily.

Any ideas on what I can try?

Hello RickyVonComputon, and welcome to the forums here at Malwarebytes.org :)

Please try the following, and see if it fixes your issue with Malwarebytes, iTunes, and I'm not sure what Stream is.

Let me know how it goes :D

Also, just as a side note, please use the "ADD REPLY" button at the bottom of the page.

Step 1: Verify Internet Connectivity of Internet Explorer:

• Click on Start and select Run
  • In the Run box copy and paste the text in the following code box exactly as written and press Enter or click on OK:
    REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v GlobalUserOffline /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

• Try updating again and if it does not work then please proceed to Step 2

Step 2: Exclude Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware's Files and Folders From Other Active Security Programs:

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products.

Now try updating Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware once more and if it does not work then please proceed to Step 3

Step 3: Verify Your Internet Connection Settings:

• Open Internet Explorer
    • Note: It MUST be Internet Explorer, not Firefox, Opera, Chrome or any other internet browser

[*]Click on Tools at the top and select Internet Options

• Note: If you do not see Tools, press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will show up

[*]Click on the Connections tab

[*]Click on the LAN settings button

[*]Under Automatic configuration make sure that the box next to Automatically detect settings is checked, if it is not, then click the box next to it to check it

[*]Under Proxy server make sure that the box next to Use a proxy server for your LAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections). is not checked and if it is, click the box next to it to uncheck it

[*]Click on the OK button to close the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings window

[*]Click on the OK button to close the Internet Options window

[*]Try updating Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again to see if it now works correctly

Thank you for the reply. I have tried all the things you suggested, and I am still getting the same error message. I am also still unable to access any other servers, such as Avast, iTunes, and Steam. This computer hasn't had an issue like this in the years it's been in service.

I have tried reinstalling the driver on my wireless adapter. I uninstalled IE a while back, so I doubt that's why this is happening now. Anything else I can try?

Oh wow somehow I totally missed that, good catch Firefox!

Yes, you need IE in order to update Malwarebytes, I bet this might be why you're having trouble with iTunes too.

And if you have XP or 2000, you need IE in order to manually check for updates for your computer too :D

I just re-installed IE and checked the settings and no dice. Like I said, I uninstalled that a long time ago, and I've played a lot of Steam games and purchased an app or two through iTunes since then.

I should also note that IE won't display any web pages, but Firefox will? IE just says that it cannot connect to server. When I try the "Diagnose Connection Problem" it gets as far as recognizing my wireless connection and then it says

"Windows cannot connect to the Internet using HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP. This is probably caused by firewall settings on this computer.

Check the firewall settings for the HTTP port (80), HTTPS port (443) and FTP port (21)."

The only firewall I have going is the Windows one.

This is getting really frustrating and worrisome. I've run Avast and MBAM a bunch of times, but neither finds anything. Of course, since I can't update them, I have no idea if they're overlooking something. I've read about other viruses that do this, but they also block internet surfing.

@ mountaintree16 Thanks.... we are all here to help each other....

@ RickyVonComputon OK now that we know IE is installed, now lets make sure you have it in the exceptions in the windows firewall.

You have to set Internet explorer to allowed in the Windows firewall.

You might as well check to see if iTunes is also listed as allow and also Check to see if Avast is allowed.

Once you checked those and allowed them check to see if you can access any websites using IE.

Let us know your results.