GUI disappears and scan log txt window does not appear after scan

Hello:

This is really weird!

Chief Complaint (as we say in medicine):

After a scan, the GUI disappeared and the scan log txt window never appeared.

A few days ago, I installed MBAM FREE 1.44 on my desktop PC (Vista Ult SP2 (32)) running OEM McAfee Security Center (VirusScan 13 and Security Center 9, Firewall, Anti-Spam, Parental Controls (which I don't use)).

It was working fine: GUI opens fine, updates fine, scans fine (multiple clean quick and 1 clean deep scan in past few days (except the FP earlier today). No conflicts w/McAfee.

Tonight, I upgraded to PRO, which seemed to go fine. McAfee asked for program permission (even though permissions for FREE were already set), and update check went fine.

I was not able to specifically exclude the SYS and REF files from the McAfee FW/AV b/c I could not view them (even with hidden files set to view) and bc/ I don't think McAfee allows the user to do so.

I did NOT enable "protect @ startup" b/c I've had indications from folks at McAfee that there might be a conflict.

I manually enabled active protection, and had no problems.

(The only test I haven't performed yet is a system reboot.)

I ran a SCHEDULED quick scan a few minutes ago to see if that function would work.

The GUI opened, the scan ran fine to completion (~ 5 min), and then.................

1) The GUI disappeared and

2) The scan log text window that usually appears after a scan never appeared (even though there *is* a log file for it in the appropriate folder).

I was/am able to re-open MBAM from the desktop shortcut, and I received no error messages.

And the program does not seem to have crashed in any way.

It seems to be a display issue of some kind.

(System specs are below in my sig -- this is the Dell XPS 420, not the laptop.)

Could this have something to do with my not being able to specifically exclude those MBAM DLL and SYS and REF files?

Darn! :)

Please advise!

Thanks much in advance!

daledoc1

I ran a SCHEDULED quick scan a few minutes ago to see if that function would work.

The GUI opened, the scan ran fine to completion (~ 5 min), and then.................

daledoc1

daledoc1, if it was a SCHEDULED quick scan that started on its own at the time you selected, you will see appear and run the scan. Once the scan is complete it will close on its own and thats that.

I believe that if the Scheduled quick scan did find and infection, the gui will stay open with the results so that you can then click on Show Results and then Remove the selected infections found.

Hope that answers your question if not let us know.

daledoc1, if it was a SCHEDULED quick scan that started on its own at the time you selected, you will see appear and run the scan. Once the scan is complete it will close on its own and thats that.

I believe that if the Scheduled quick scan did find and infection, the gui will stay open with the results so that you can then click on Show Results and then Remove the selected infections found.

Hope that answers your question if not let us know.

D'OH!

I hadn't thought of that!

How stupid of me! :)

This was the first "scheduled" scan I had run on either machine.

And it didn't dawn on me that what I was used to seeing with a manual scan wouldn't apply to a scheduled scan.

I think my brain is more than little fried tonight (the world of McAfee consumers has been dealing with a 3-day-long DAT file update debacle since Saturday (don't ask!), so I am mentally exhausted).

I think I should probably quit while I'm ahead and get off the computer for a few hours.

Sorry for the trouble and for being so "high-maintenance" for the past week. :)

Once I gain a little familiarity with your program (and how it runs on my computers), I'll disappear into the fog. :)

Thanks, Firefox!

Frazzled,

daledoc1