pgovotsos

Hello,

IP Protector from MBAM v1.44 with database version 3575 reports a false positive on IP address 216.240.187.5 (trellian.com). This is the homepage of Trellian homepage editor. I'm not certain if the IP address is the same as always, but I have gone to www.trellian.com many times to download the app and access the documentation. IP Protector popped up when using Internet Explorer, tracert, and ping.

Thanks,

Panagiotis

According to SiteAdvisor and MalwareURL there's some nasty stuff on that site.

Looking at those sites, what they are objecting to is the toolbarbrowser tool. Their analysis shows that there's no registry or hard drive modifications. Of course there are toolbar modifications - it's a toolbar aggregator (don't know if that's a real term) that lets you edit and combine parts of multiple toolbars into one.

I don't understand why they find this to be malware of some kind. It is included with many of Trellian's products as an optional install or as a seperate product. It's not hidden and just stuck on your system without permission. Checking several major download sites (like download.com), Toolbarbrowser is tested as malware free. Based on what Toolbarbrowser does and that it is an opt-in install, I really don't see why it's considered malware.

I think this should be reexamined.

Panagiotis

According to SiteAdvisor and MalwareURL there's some nasty stuff on that site.

Actually, MalwareURL does NOT list this domain or IP address in their database. The link you provided doesn't have this listed and I searched for name and IP with no exact matches. There are similar IP addresses, but not this one and nothing close to the domain name.

Panagiotis