Desktop shortcut icon & start menu folder disappear

daledoc1

Hello:

Just installed free version on my Dell Latitude E6500; Win 7 Pro (32); Intel Core 2 Duo; 4 GB RAM; IE 8; Webroot Internet Security Essentials (firewall diabled during MWB install), current version; High speed internet; NVIDIA Quadro NSV 160M.

Having 2 problems:

1) Creates desktop shortcut just fine during install, but then it "disappears" (or more accurately, it reverts to the "generic" icon).

2) Despite checking the box during install to create a folder in the start menu, it's NOT there.

I installed the app once a couple of days ago, and all seemed fine (was able to update definitions, ran a clean scan, etc).

When I rebooted the machine today (at work, behind the employer's firewall), I noticed that the desktop icon had reverted to the "generic" icon (IOW the favicon (?) for MWB had disappeared.

And, I couldn't find the folder in the start menu.

So, I uninstalled the program and rebooted; I then downloaded a fresh copy and reinstalled.

Same problem.

The main GUI opens fine when I click the wonky desktop shortcut, and the app itself seems to working OK (though I have not run another scan since reinstalling). I am able to run the program and update the defs, both at home and at work (behind the firewall).

But the desktop shortcut icon remains wonky (see attached screenshot), and the program is NOT listed in the Windows start menu.

Bug?

Display issue?

Win7 compatibility issue?

Any suggestions?

TIA,

daledoc

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

If that doesn't correct it then please do the following:

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start Orb vista-7-start.png and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.