re: mem usage

I am not sure I understand correction the conversion from K to MB... how many K (is K the same as kilobytes, by the way)? are in a MB?

Also, what is "normal" for memory usage by Malwarebytes on a computer?

Running XP, SP3 here, all updated.

Anyway, so when I turn on my computer tonight (it was in hibernation, its usually restarted or turned off once a week, otherwise its left in Hibernate most of the time), after updating, I checked the usage.

It was 102,000 K. Then it went down to 86,000 after about 5 minutes or so, give or take.

I restarted my computer, then took a look again. It was at 40,000 - 40,500 K.

Edit: Now its nearly at 42,000 K. Few seconds later, 42,300, then 42,328... Edit again: Now its at 42,192, oop, now its at 42,300 its creeping up slowly...

So nearly a half hour after I originally posted this... Mbamservice is down to 30,000K.

I am not sure I understand correction the conversion from K to MB... how many K (is K the same as kilobytes, by the way)? are in a MB?

Kilobytes (KB) are 1,024 bytes.

Megabytes (MB) are 1,024 kilobytes, or 1,048,578 bytes.

Technically, it works like this:

Kilobyte:

1024 bytes

Megabyte:

Oh, and I guess I should mention that Marcin seems to have found the reason for the memory usage problem in the protection module, and they should be working on a fix. Pretty interesting stuff, but I'll let him be the one to share it if he feels so inclined. :D

Thanks for the replies, GT500 :D

& ah, that's good to know :D

I don't think I am really experiencing it after all by the way... its been holding steady between like 24,000K and 28,000K now... maybe mine just spiked for a bit after an update.

While older convention was 1 kilobyte is 1024 bits, it was changed in 2000 by International Electrotechnical Commission (and IEEE convention)...it is now making it into the mainstream

a kilobyte (KB) is to be 1000 bits to be in line with SI units

a kibibyte (KiB) is 1024 bits

and similar designations for higher units.

This is one of the confusions in drive sizes as for marketing purposes a 250 KB formats out around 230 KiB.

While not an authoritative source per se, this gives a good rundown:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibibyte

a kilobyte (KB) is to be 1000 bits to be in line with SI units

a kibibyte (KiB) is 1024 bits

And to correct MY misprint...

1 KB = 1000 bytes (not bits)

1 KiB = 1024 bytes (not bits)

MS is still using the older units for the OS while drive manufacturers and some open source software uses the newer conventions.

Sorry for the confusion.