Best Image/Photo program

greyowl

I have used Picasa 3 for a long time and I think it might fulfil your needs.

I am certainly very pleased with it.

You do not need a degree in photography to use (as with some other photographic software), as it is fairly simple but, in my opinion, effective..... :)

Greyowl,

If you have Microsoft Office, I find Microsoft Office Picture Manager to be decent for very basic editing purposes. I have mostly used it to resize pictures and you can also turn color pictures into black and white. If you want to do much more than that though, its not the best choice.

Adobe Photoshop is really cool. Last time I actually used it was about 6 years ago though, so I am not sure what its like now.

For those that are not adverse to .NET applications

"Impressive." - PC World, #19 on "Top 100 Products of 2007"

"It raises the quality bar," - Jeff Atwood, Coding Horror

"... An absolute joy to use." - WebUser Magazine Review

http://www.getpaint.net

If you'd like something that approaches Photoshop but isn't quite as complicated as GIMP give Paint Shop Pro a test run. It was a really good alternative when it was owned by the founder JASC but Corel who bought them out lacks the support I was used to at JASC. It's still my favorite photo editing software and the only reason I still have Windows on one machine. The price is very reasonable.