CCMUA2009

Greetings :)

I believe all Norton products disable the Windows Security Center by default as they monitor themselves so it is possible that they do not add such an entry.

You should also upgrade to the latest version (2010). To do so please do the following:

• Download the 30 day trial version of the Norton product you currently have installed from here and save the installer to your desktop but do not run it yet.
  • Remove 2008 by following the instructions here.
  • Disconnect from the internet by unplugging your computer from your router or modem or by disabling your wireless connection if using wifi.
  • Install the trial version of the Norton product you downloaded and use the product key you saved in the previous step to activate it.
  • Reconnect to the internet and update your newly installed Norton product so that you have the latest virus definitions.

Please let me know if you have any questions and post back letting me know how it went.

the starnge thing is that it was fine up until today, even rebooted 11/21/09

Does it appear as I might be infected? But if I was my guess would be that

1. I could not update and run malwarebytes

2. That the Norton security panel would show unsecure

Coul there be a reason why Vista no longer recognizes Norton?

No, I doubt it was an infection. It could be either corruption of Security Center's xml database used for security software detection (something I've dealt with myself in the past) or an update installed for Windows that required a reboot installed, and it updated Security Center to the newer version that requires a different method of installed AV's to be detected, which the 2008 version of Norton may not be compatible with. I had the same issue with one of my security softwares.

If you're still around you can try the following to see if it corrects the issue with Security Center:

• Please copy and paste the following text exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    @echo off
    winmgmt /verifyrepository
    winmgmt /salvagerepository
    del /f /q %0

Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...

• In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Name the file VSCFix.bat (the .bat extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop and right click on it and select Run as administrator then click Continue at the User Account Control prompt.
  • Once it completes, open Security Center to see if it is now detected. If it is not, then reboot your computer and see if it is detected.

If that does not correct the issue let me know and I'll guide you on a more advanced fix to try.