iTunes/iPod

I tried to copy the songs from my iPod into my iTunes so that I can listen to them on the computer too, and don't have to have the iPod plugged in order to listen to them. I couldn't figure it out on my own, although I've been able to before (at least I think so), and the help offered in the interface well wasn't very helpful. I wasn't able to find an answer, at least. I tried select all on my iPod (the songs) and then tried pasting them into the main library, but there was no "paste" option.

Does anyone know how to do this? Or if this is even possible?

Step 1

Create a folder where you would like to store the music from your iPod.

Step 2

Connect your iPod to your computer then do the following:

Show Hidden Files and Folders:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Double click on your iPod to open it.

Copy and paste all of the F## folders into the folder you created in Step 1

Step 3

Import the folders you copied into your iTunes Library using iTunes.

Note: I borrowed this guide from another source but won't link to the site here since it also contains information about activities such as overcoming copy protection etc.

Thanks Exile! :)

I'll do this as soon as I am able to and let you know how it goes :)

It also just occurred to me that I may have had it locked on top there, so I'll make sure that its not when I do this.

Totally understand you not providing the link you got it from, that's fine :) (Not that I would try to do any of those things).

Do you mean the autoupdate for the program itself or for the library? I should turn the checker off, as I do check myself, but the autochecker does help remind me if I forget :)

I am not sure how to turn it off for the library if that is what you mean for sure. I'm not actually quite sure what the library would be updating? :( Yeah, I think its already turned off because like you said my music is still there. I'd be quite ticked if it was not, especially since I don't even know every song I have on there.

Uh, I am not sure what that is though, lol. :) I mean, I know what the library is, but I dunno how or what it would be auto-updating.

Yeah, I check pretty frequently for updates on things, hehe.

Hey, I'm not the only paranoid one around here :(

:) Thanks! You don't need to go to the trouble of doing that for me though; I'll figure it out next time I'm using iTunes :)

Edit: Thanks for the link, Exile :)

You're welcome, and I apologize. That's one of those massive pages with more information on a subject than you would ever want to know :) . Whenever I come across a page like that I just know I'll end up reading every last word and will wish I hadn't by the time I'm done and look up at the clock realizing how much time I spent there.

That's okay, no need to apologize :)

lol I know what you mean about reading everything. I do that sometimes in a thread or on a page with info, or I'll click on links within that page to read other articles or articles on the same information, or if that page has a lot of info, I'll read it all, and same thing, I'll be like oh man uh oh I just spent way too much time on there, lol :)

• 4 weeks later...

@ Exile

Finally getting to doing this tonight ;)

Just a quick question for you -

"# Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

# Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes"

Should I re-check those options once I am finished? ;)

Well, I dragged the music folder from the iPod into the folder I made on my computer, and neglected to make sure it was COPYING not CUTTING... then put it in the recycle bin and then emptied it to try again... that'll teach me to EMPTY the recycle bin right away when deleting stuff.

Edit: Link you gave me didn't go right to the download; but no matter, I can find it on the page it took me to (Piriform main page). Using this link. Hope that's alright ;) Edit again: Nevermind, just copied link location, pasted it in a new tab, and download started ;) So I'll use your link instead of the one I found ;)