Can you prove an email was received and read without a Read receipt?

bluegiraffe

Hi

In Outlook Office 2019 using Windows 10 - I have email set to give Delivery and Read receipts. I am aware that recipients can refuse Read receipts and that not all servers support them. But if it really matters that a recipient has received and read a sent email, is there a way for the sender to ascertain this?

Not all email systems and clients conform to Delivery Notifications and Read Receipts as you're aware.  If they are enabled in the sending email the receiving email server may or may or may not generate a Delivery Notification and there is no guarantee that a recipient will honour a read receipt.

There is no way around it.  There is no certain way for the sender to ascertain this information.

I often send email with a High Priority with a Delivery Notifications and Read Receipt request.  Sometimes I get a Delivery Notification and often not.  I get very few read receipts.  Occasionally I do get a notification the email was deleted without it being read.

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and/or grammar
  • Thanks 1