Router

chimpy

resting the router;

"Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on.

* Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.

* Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.

* Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.

* Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.

* Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.

* Boot the computer."

you might have to fiddle with (CMD screen) ip/config afterwards.

I set up my computer 2 1/2 years ago and lost the info on the router, how do I find the set up info on my computer if its there?

Reset the router, set it up again and then using a PERMANENT marker, write the log on and password on the bottom! Another option is just leave the standard log on alone. If someone is that deep into your system, they are probably into your house or you have a wireless setup without a security key.

Bill

Thanks for both your helps, would resetting it tell me what the password is then?

That does not seem very secure.

I have wireless and its very secure when I set it up, problem is I seem to have lost the set up info for it. its just that for xmas I might be staying over at a friends and I was going to take my PC with me, If I then use their wireless I might loose the info I have to my wireless when I get back so I was wondering if the info for it was stored on my PC so I could write it down before I disconnect everything?

It's likely that the wireless manager on your computer will let you save your current connection as a profile within the application (the Intel Proset Wireless that my PC has does). You can then just reload the appropriate profile when you return home. Otherwise, you will need to do a reset on your router and start over with the setup from the router's default settings. You really do want to put a complex password on your router and use WPA2 for your wireless encryption with a randomly generated key. The Steve Gibson Research site has a very nice password/key generator here: https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

Ah thanks, the set up for it came with a unique password which I believe I tried to change when I set it up and it locked me out so I had to get a friend to reset it for me so I am not sure that my ISP lets me choose my own PW which is why I need to find the one I have on my computer, but if it saves it then thats ok.