Control center pop-up

Joe

My computer was apparently repaired by you as in the post "Computer Virus" ,but when I turned it off and started up the next day all that comes up is Control center pop-up wanting me to fix problems by running their software. It will not allow me to do any thing else. I go to close the window and ait will not allow me to do it. I cannot even shut off my computer.

• Root Admin

Well you certainly didn't go very long. I just closed your post the other day.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...st&p=150049

Did you hookup an external drive to the system ? Curious how you could so quickly go from clean to heavy infection again if you had AV and other Security software in place.

Well, let's start out and see if you can run either of these please.

Download
DDS
and save it to your desktop

Disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop

• Please include the following logs in your next reply:
    DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

Please download the following scanning tool. GMER

• Download the randomly named EXE and copy the file to your Desktop. Remember what its name is.

• Double click on
    random named exe file
    and run it.

• It may take a minute to load and become available.

• Do not make any changes. Click on the
    SCAN
    button and DO NOT use the computer while it's scanning.

• Once the scan is done click on the
    SAVE
    button and browse to your Desktop and save the file as
    GMER.LOG

• Zip up the
    GMER.LOG
    file and save it as
    gmerlog.zip
    and attach it to your reply post.

• DO NOT
    directly post this log into a reply. You
    MUST
    attach it as a .ZIP file.

• Click OK and quit the GMER program.

Unabl to preform anything on my computer. Control center program pops up and will not allow me to do anything until I click on fix problems. One thing that I did notice was just before this happened I went to my start program to restart and one of my recently run programs was a C prompt program. I don't know if that means anything.

I am currently working from another computer

Joe

• Root Admin

Please download and burn this CD and put it in the infected computer. Physically shut the power off on it and boot back up to the CD and run it.

Avira AntiVir Rescue System

Requires access to a working computer with a CD/DVD burner to create a bootable CD.

• Download the
    Avira AntiVir Rescue System
    from
    here

• Place a blank CD in your burner and double-click on the downloaded file named
    rescue_system-common-en.exe

• If the above link does not work please try this one:
    here

• The program will automatically burn the CD for you.

• Place the burned CD into the affected computer and start the computer from this CD.

• On the bottom left side of the screen there are 2 flags. Using your mouse click on the British flag to use English.

• Click on the
    Configuration
    button.

• Select
      Scan all files

• Select
      Try to repair infected files
      and
      Rename files, if they cannot be removed

• Select
      Scan for dialers

• Select
      Scan for joke programs (Jokes)

• Select
      Scan for games

• Select
      Scan for spyware (SPR)

[*]
    Click on
    Virus scanner

[*]
    Click on
    Start scanner
    at the bottom of the screen

[*]
    Currently the program does not support saving a log. Write down the amount of items for Records, Suspect files, and Warnings

The Avira AntiVir Rescue System is a Linux-based application that allows accessing computers that cannot be booted anymore and is updated several times a day so that the most recent security updates are always available.

Possible solutions to Screen Resolution and other issues

1. Please see the post
    here
    if you're unable to view the entire screen of Avira.

2. You can also review this one
    Fixed Rescue CD Resolution Probs with Dell Video

3. Currently only the German keyboard is supported.
    Command Line not working
    English keyboards require work arounds.

4. Some computers attempt to mount the floppy even though they don't have one. You may need to go in to the BIOS and disable the floppy drive in order to mount your hard drive for scanning.

• Root Admin

A re-installation disk is not the same as the original install disk. If you have an OEM MFG disk it is designed only to reinstall the OS and often will reformat the drive as part of that process.

If you're unable to run in Safe Mode or Normal mode and run any tool then you don't have too many choices.

We can try some other boot cd tools if you want to try that though.

Please try downloading and burning this CD and scan with it and see if it makes any difference.

http://www.freedrweb.com/livecd/

• Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

The fixes and advice in this thread are for this machine only. Do not apply the instructions from this thread to your own machine. Please start a new thread describing your issue and someone will be along to assist you.