Version 4 with Separate Malware VPN running

After much ado trying to get my vpn running in version 5 I finally learned it would not work with version 5.

I have it running (I think) by going back to the latest version 4 and a vpn version that purports to run in version 4, 

When I did the vpn activate it took me through a demo which (I believe) got me running in vpn with a server in Los Angeles. 

My question is this: while running in version 4 (whatever latest is according to mwb) how can I see if the vpn is actually running and how can i access the vpn settings to change what server I want to be running under. Sounds like it could be a simple thing, but not for me. 

Help please. 

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

34 minutes ago, Doesntwork said:

My question is this: while running in version 4 (whatever latest is according to mwb) how can I see if the vpn is actually running and how can i access the vpn settings to change what server I want to be running under. Sounds like it could be a simple thing, but not for me. 

You should have a separate icon in your system tray for the VPN. image.png.8d644a8455ce9d69a554e1201bef3552.png

Edited by Porthos

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

You should have a separate icon in your system tray for the VPN.

I will attemp to post a screenshot (overlaid on this thread). it is the default result I get when I enter malwarebytes to see what is going on. I have looked at the choices to the right side of the small screen inserted. i see not choices (not even in the settings) icon to see any mention of the fact I even have a vpn attached to the main program. 

If I had to attach one word to the whole malwarebytes world I would have to say MONOLITHIC. Additonal words would be MERRY-GO-ROUND (though there is no joy there). 

Thanks for trying to help. Can you (or anyone else) provide more help?

@Doesntwork What is this icon on your taskbar? image.png.1bd974665b9893ba2402cac3630356ab.png

It would be easier to assist you if you would provide the logs I requested in your other topic.

WARNING: Do Not click the Repair option under Advanced unless requested by a Malwarebytes support agent or authorized helper

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained are safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool. The tool also downloads and runs a file called FRSTEnglish. Please allow it to run.
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine 
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to the Desktop or on the hidden Public desktop (usually C:\Users\Public\Desktop), please upload that file on your next reply

image.png.79d4442a821713608fa60808a98c2e69.png 

image.png.98d86a6c3017d2bbba48877ea4f6ba45.png

Thank you

Edited by Porthos

51 minutes ago, Porthos said:

@Doesntwork Unlike Malwarebytes 5 Version 4 is separate from the main interface. Separate program and separate icon.

Do you have the following icon on your desktop? it is the VPN icon. image.png.4be02f32f04bb9898fdc9c408bab43c9.png

Have you installed the privacy program yet?

I do not have the mwb privacy icon in my taskbar. I will look to see if it is on the desktop. 

I thought I had activated the vpn through a "help demo" that had popped up. I stepped through it and it seemed to actually activate the vpn and gave me the option to change the server location to go to another city. After I chose the different city it seemed to go on through. 

As I have noted before, this whole mwb landscape is a land mine of help screens, "lastest" version links, etc. BUT hey, I used Norton for decades without error so I thought I would give this a try. Not a fun experience. NOW I will check my desktop to see if the Privacy button is there if no where else. I will report back here one way or the other. Stay tuned. 

Don't know if this will attach itself to my post above, but hey..why not?

I have never minded asking for help and I am pretty good about admitting mistakes too, but it only took about 3 posts in this thread to get a response from an actual person (the icon for "privacy" on the desktop...to take me in the right direction.

I found it on the desktop loaded it also to the taskbar at the bottom of the windows screen. It worked...I went through the steps (only about 3) it actually showed the change in server city I made. I slid the brown bar to on and it worked. 

Considering I was originally in mwb 5 (much more graphic) when this tragic story unfolded, I don't feel so bad, In 5 you could see everything you had (even if one could never actually activate the vpn (something mwb forgot to mention when they sold me the separate vpn) going back to 4 and then getting the help here made it work. 

Many thanks to the actual human being who helped me and allowed me to enter yet another "latest" help guide.

Can't thank you enough. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Doesntwork said:

Considering I was originally in mwb 5 (much more graphic) when this tragic story unfolded, I don't feel so bad, In 5 you could see everything you had (even if one could never actually activate the vpn (something mwb forgot to mention when they sold me the separate vpn) going back to 4 and then getting the help here made it work. 

I suggest you contact support and ask them to combine your subscriptions if they are both yearly so that in the future you can use the all-in-one interface of MB5.

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

Please submit only one ticket/request. Additional tickets will increase the delay.

Be advised it can take 3-7 weekdays for a response after the automated reply with your ticket number.

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I suggest you contact support and ask them to combine your subscriptions if they are both yearly so that in the future you can use the all-in-one interface of MB5.

Please submit only one ticket/request. Additional tickets will increase the delay.

Be advised it can take 3-7 weekdays for a response after the automated reply with your ticket number.

Thanks Porthos for this last bit of advice. It seems very  valid. Yes both my mwb's are yearly.  Too bad mwb can't automate something like combining the two pieces for future working enviorment when they eventually get everything combined into one package. Just boggles my mind a bit. 

In reference to your comment about how long it takes for a ticket to respond, but first 2 of 5 tickets they responded with they couldn't find my email address or the fact I had bought a program. Oh well, even older companies have built in glitches I guess. For this 80 year old who remembers working in DOS and the original Windows in the mid-eighties it's hard to accept a monolith these days. 

I don't think I will be posting again as I intend to let the program (and the SEPARATE VPN) to their job. 

5 minutes ago, Doesntwork said:

but first 2 of 5 tickets they responded with they couldn't find my email address or the fact I had bought a program.

The email to use is the one that was used on the Malwarebytes site to purchase the programs. I have seen when paypal was used for payment and not an actual credit card the paypal email address was the account address for MB.

19 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The email to use is the one that was used on the Malwarebytes site to purchase the programs. I have seen when paypal was used for payment and not an actual credit card the paypal email address was the account address for MB.

Yep, I used the emails from mwb to ask my questions and of course opening a ticket gave me direct contact with them. I am willing to take the heat for problem(s) I might have created, but the folks I was paying money to didn't help much either. Will see how it all plays out. Both the things I bought from them (at this point only marginally connected to each other) are working and a year will go buy in a blink... But maybe they will come out with a combo program and vpn before that year is up. And yes, I should probably have them "combine" the two right now, but I will wait a bit to  allow me to reflect again on WHY they can't do that themselves. No need for any more responses....I am as happy now as I wanted to be and I will settle for that.