Trojan.Dropper

meactut

Malwarebytes finds the following file on my my computer but can't seem to get rid of it. I get a message saying I need to reboot to delete it, when I run the scan again, it is still there. It looks like it blocks Malwarebytes on boot up.

Files Infected:

C:\preboot\rr\Migration\bin\p2pc.dll (Trojan.Dropper) -> Delete on reboot.

Any suggestions on removal? My previous advice was to Combofix or reformat, but those both seem pretty extreme.

Some in the previous post ask me to zip the file, but I could not find it. I looked through the directory and through search, so I included Trend Micro hijackThis logs, and the Malwarebytes log.

Hopefully someone has some idea of out to get rid of this thing.

Thanks,

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 1:32:55 PM, on 11/12/2009

Platform: Windows Vista SP2 (WinNT 6.00.1906)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6002.18005)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe

C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe

C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\DkIcon.exe

C:\Program Files\Lenovo\NPDIRECT\tpfnf7sp.exe

C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe

C:\Program Files\Lenovo\HOTKEY\TPOSDSVC.exe

C:\Windows\System32\TpShocks.exe

C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Utilities\EZEJMNAP.EXE

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe

C:\Program Files\Lenovo\AwayTask\AwaySch.EXE

C:\Program Files\ThinkVantage\PrdCtr\LPMGR.EXE

C:\Program Files\ThinkVantage\AMSG\Amsg.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe

C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\ACWLIcon.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Lenovo\Scheduler\scheduler_proxy.exe

C:\Program Files\Canon\MyPrinter\BJMYPRT.EXE

C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE4.0\OpWareSE4.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe

C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\VPTray.exe

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe

C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe

C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

C:\Program Files\RitzPix E-Z Print & Share\OurPictures.exe

C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Bluetooth Software\BTTray.exe

C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe

C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE

C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe

C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe

C:\Windows\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe

C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe

C:\Program Files\Lenovo\HOTKEY\TPONSCR.exe

C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Zoom\TpScrex.exe

C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Bluetooth Software\BtStackServer.exe

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ieuser.exe

C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10c.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE

C:\Windows\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE

C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\ACMainGUI.exe

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\WINWORD.EXE

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Office Live\OfficeLiveSignIn.exe

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {EA756889-2338-43DB-8F07-D1CA6FB9C90D} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll

O2 - BHO: AskBar BHO - {201f27d4-3704-41d6-89c1-aa35e39143ed} - C:\Program Files\AskBarDis\bar\bin\askBar.dll

O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: AOL Toolbar Launcher - {7C554162-8CB7-45A4-B8F4-8EA1C75885F9} - C:\Program Files\AOL\AIM Toolbar 5.0\aoltb.dll

O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll

O2 - BHO: Java

• Staff

Hi,

The Trojan.Dropper is most probably a false positive.

Please do the following...

1. Click the Start Menu.

2. Click Run.

3. Type in "mbam.exe /developer", without the quotes.

4. Run the same type of scan you did before and save the logfile and post it.

Also, Go to this page.

Enter the url of this thread in the first field.

Where it says, browse to the file that you want to submit, click the browse button next to it and browse to next file:

C:\preboot\rr\Migration\bin\p2pc.dll

Select it and click ok:

Then click the Send File button below.

• Staff

Hi,

Thank you for your submission.

The file is 0 bytes, so I guess you already deleted it with malwarebytes and just entered the full path in the field for submission.

Please open malwarebytes and click the quarantine tab. There search for the reference where it deleted the p2pc.dll file and select to restore that file.

Then upload that file again (this time you should be able to find it, I hope).

Then, after you have restored the file,

1. Click the Start Menu.

2. Click Run.

Hi,

Thank you for your submission.

The file is 0 bytes, so I guess you already deleted it with malwarebytes and just entered the full path in the field for submission.

Please open malwarebytes and click the quarantine tab. There search for the reference where it deleted the p2pc.dll file and select to restore that file.

Then upload that file again (this time you should be able to find it, I hope).

Then, after you have restored the file,

1. Click the Start Menu.

2. Click Run.

Thank you very much for your help. I am running a scan, which usually takes about 2 hours. I can't seem to find the file. I've tried searching, and following the directory, but can't seem to find it. When I browse from bleeping computer, and enter the file in the search thing, it says I don't have access. I will post the new log when the scan finishes. I'm pretty sure the file is still there, i just can't seem to find it to send it to you. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

• Staff

Hi,

It could be possible that the folder preboot is Locked to the Windows API. That may explain why mbam can't delete it and you can't find the file. In either way, the mbam /developer log may already be a great help as well here, so no need for the file as I expect that the folder preboot is a part of your installation to restore to factory settings.

A quick google search shows that this file is related with ThinkVantage\SMA, so it's legit and you can ignore the detection. I just need that developers log, so it can be fixed in next update :)

Great! You have been very helpful. I will send this file as soon as it is finished. When I pull it up I can see it has already found it.

Thanks again!

Hi,

It could be possible that the folder preboot is Locked to the Windows API. That may explain why mbam can't delete it and you can't find the file. In either way, the mbam /developer log may already be a great help as well here, so no need for the file as I expect that the folder preboot is a part of your installation to restore to factory settings.

Ok, waiting for your reply with the developers log....

In either way, don't select to delete since this file is harmless (and mbam won't be able to delete it anyway since the folder is locked) :)

Okay, here is the log from the last run. Any thoughts? I'm tempted just to wipe my hard drive and start from scratch anyways. Its been a few years.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41

Database version: 3179

Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2

11/16/2009 2:37:15 PM

mbam-log-2009-11-16 (14-37-09).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)

Objects scanned: 266221

Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 59 minute(s), 51 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

C:\preboot\rr\Migration\bin\p2pc.dll (Trojan.Dropper) -> No action taken. [5253514247405230538380756679153783808181708313012517212517130122201717223917172

22317172122171722191717222017172126171721391717213817172239171721261717213817172

2317172139171717171717171717173537172138393938171717171718171713014755]

• Staff

Hi,

I would like to have the file anyway - even though it's legit so we can adjust our detection.

I know you can't access the file since it's in a locked folder, but maybe gmer may be a help here.

Download GMER's application from here:

http://www2.gmer.net/gmer.zip

It will do a fast scan automatically. Just ignore what it finds since the folder or subfolders of the preboot folder will be targetted there anyway.

Then, click on the arrows next to the Rootkit/Malware tab

Then more tabs will appear.

Click the "files" tab

Then you'll see an enumeration of your folders and files.

In there, you *should be able to navigate to the C:\preboot\rr\Migration\bin\p2pc.dll file. So from there, navigate to the Preboot folder, then rr subfolder, then Migration subfolder, then bin subfolder and in there you should find the file p2pc.dll

select that file and on the right you'll see a button with the name "copy". Click copy and your explorer will open in order to save the file.

Name the file p2pc.dll and save it on your desktop.

Then upload the file from your desktop here again: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/submit-malware.php?channel=8

Hi,

I would like to have the file anyway - even though it's legit so we can adjust our detection.

I know you can't access the file since it's in a locked folder, but maybe gmer may be a help here.

Download GMER's application from here:

http://www2.gmer.net/gmer.zip

It will do a fast scan automatically. Just ignore what it finds since the folder or subfolders of the preboot folder will be targetted there anyway.

Then, click on the arrows next to the Rootkit/Malware tab

Then more tabs will appear.

Click the "files" tab

Then you'll see an enumeration of your folders and files.

In there, you *should be able to navigate to the C:\preboot\rr\Migration\bin\p2pc.dll file. So from there, navigate to the Preboot folder, then rr subfolder, then Migration subfolder, then bin subfolder and in there you should find the file p2pc.dll

select that file and on the right you'll see a button with the name "copy". Click copy and your explorer will open in order to save the file.

Name the file p2pc.dll and save it on your desktop.

Then upload the file from your desktop here again: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/submit-malware.php?channel=8

I got the gmer to work, but when I navigate to the folder there is no preboot folder. I attached a screen shot in a word file.