Privacy VPN Not Connecting

Chron

Hello,

My Privacy VPN on my Windows 11 desktop will not connect to any server. It works fine on my phone and my girlfriends desktop PC.

Things I have tried so far:

1. Uninstalling both Malwarebytes Premium and Privacy both through windows and using a program called Revo Uninstaller to remove all remaining files.

2. Adding outbound and inbound rules in windows firewall to allow all Malwarebytes programs through.

3. Using the Support Tool to repair.

I've attached my logs here as well.

mbst-grab-results.zip

• Root Admin

Good day, @Chron

It looks like your network stack is having issues. We can try to do some clean up work and see if that helps.

Also, please do not use Revo Uninstaller for our products. The program is not aware and does not address licensing which can potentially cause over usage and then your license will stop working.

System errors:
=============
Error: (02/27/2023 02:26:34 PM) (Source: NetBT) (EventID: 4311) (User: )
Description: Initialization failed because the driver device could not be created.
Use the string "%2" to identify the interface for which initialization
failed. It represents the MAC address of the failed interface or the
Globally Unique Interface Identifier (GUID) if NetBT was unable to
map from GUID to MAC address. If neither the MAC address nor the GUID were
available, the string represents a cluster device name.

Error: (02/27/2023 02:26:34 PM) (Source: NetBT) (EventID: 4311) (User: )
Description: Initialization failed because the driver device could not be created.

Error: (02/27/2023 02:26:17 PM) (Source: NetBT) (EventID: 4311) (User: )

Error: (02/27/2023 02:26:17 PM) (Source: NetBT) (EventID: 4311) (User: )

Error: (02/27/2023 02:24:51 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7031) (User: )
Description: The MBVpnService service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Error: (02/27/2023 01:09:05 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7023) (User: )
Description: The Function Discovery Resource Publication service terminated with the following error:
General access denied error

Error: (02/27/2023 12:58:21 PM) (Source: DCOM) (EventID: 10010) (User: BRENDAN12700K)
Description: The server {8CFC164F-4BE5-4FDD-94E9-E2AF73ED4A19} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Error: (02/27/2023 12:56:33 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7023) (User: )
Description: The Function Discovery Resource Publication service terminated with the following error:
General access denied error

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

• Root Admin

Please note the following account should not be enabled on Windows 10 or 11 @Chron

Administrator (S-1-5-21-2387863837-915471708-696689714-500 - Administrator - Enabled)

It looks like you had some type of possible USB hardware issue? Did you recently install or remove a USB device that caused a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) ?

==================== Faulty Device Manager Devices ============

Name: Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed)
Description: Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed)
Class Guid: {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}
Manufacturer: (Standard USB Host Controller)
Service:
Problem: : Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)
Resolution: One of the drivers controlling the device notified the operating system that the device failed in some manner. For more information about how to diagnose the problem, see the hardware documentation.

Error: (02/27/2023 03:11:46 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting) (EventID: 1001) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: 0x000000ef (0xffffb88c824990c0, 0x0000000000000000, 0xffffb88c824990c0, 0x0000000000000000)C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\022723-13984-01.dmp2d1b894c-359b-4221-948d-b55f773a43eb

Error: (02/27/2023 03:11:38 PM) (Source: volmgr) (EventID: 162) (User: )
Description: Dump file generation succeded.

Please run the following fix

NOTE: Please read all of the information below before running this fix.

• NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine.
  • Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Once the fix has been completed, please attach the file FIXLOG.TXT to your next reply

Farbar program:   FRST64.exe

Save the attached file:  FIXLIST.TXT to this folder D:\Users\brendan\Downloads\

NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST64.exe, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real-time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed, make sure you re-enable it.

Run the Farbar program with Admin rights and press the Fix button just once and wait.

The fix may possibly take up to 60 minutes to complete

If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log named Fixlog.txt in the same folder you ran the Farbar program from. Please attach that log on your next reply.

1. NOTE:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity.
  2. NOTE: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications may be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed in most, but not all cases.
  3. NOTE: As part of this fix, it will also reset the network to default settings including the firewall. If you have custom firewall rules you need to save please export or save them first before running this fix.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome, and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Discord cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

I had a feeling this would happen when I saw the FRST file.

You asked about the BSOD earlier. So I'd used the Malwarebytes Support program and attempted the repair in that software before reaching out here. Once the repair had finished and I had to restart my PC began to BSOD and restart until I performed a System Restore.

Running the "fix" here did the same thing and I just had to System Restore again.

• Root Admin

Perform a System Restore from before our program was ever installed.

Then run the Farbar scanner again and we'll take a look again.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Updated information

• Root Admin

I'm sorry, but as said. There is something wrong with your system.

The Farbar program has been used on thousands and thousands of systems and I've never heard of it once ever removing a System Restore Point in the many years I've been using it by just doing a scan.

If you want help with this issue, please run the Farbar scanner again and get me new logs.

Thank you

• Root Admin

Please go ahead and create a NEW System Restore Point then run the following fix as before. This is a trimmed down script that will run a lot less but will still clean temp folders and check the system operating files as well as run a disk check on C: and D: drives.

fixlist.txt

Run as the previous fix.

Thanks @Chron

• Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following to help you better protect your computer and privacy Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you