Fluctuating issues with repeatedly deleting folders

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

Hello out there c:  I'm Isaac, thank you for being here to help.

I've had issues with my computer for a very long time.  Sometimes it's really slow, and I delete folders, perform a whole ritual with stop apparently legitimate services, which sometimes makes my computer super fast.  But they always reappear and I'm always back to square one.  Some folders I can't delete, because when I try, windows tells me the folder is no longer located where it is, despite being there for... embarrassingly long.  This is my fault.

I've had MB premium for a long time now and it doesn't seem to be catching everything it should.  I'm excited I found these forums and all the help you provide - so thank you. c: 

FRST.txtAddition.txt

Hello @RottenApollo and :welcome::

While you are waiting for the next qualified/approved malware removal expert helper to weigh in on your topic, and even though you may have run the following Malwarebytes utility, or its subsets, please carefully follow these instructions:

1. Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool.
  2. In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file.
  3. In the User Account Control (UAC) pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation.
  4. Run the MBST Support Tool.
  5. In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced.
  6. In the Advanced Options, click only Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your computer.
  7. A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to the Public desktop, please attach that file in your next reply to this topic. Please do NOT copy and paste.

For the short time between when you post the diagnostic logs, and when your helper weighs in, please take no further self-directed remedial actions that will invalidate the diagnostic logs you will have sent.

Thank you.

Hello Isaac. :welcome: 

Thanks for sending the support-zip. I will guide you along on looking for remaining malware. Lets keep these principles as we go along.

• Removing malware can be unpredictable
  • Please don't run any other scans, download, install or uninstall any programs while I'm working with you.
  • Only run the tools I guide you to.
  • Do not run online games while case is on-going. Do not do any free-wheeling web-surfing.
  • The removal of malware isn't instantaneous, please be patient.
  • Cracked or or hacked or pirated programs are not only illegal, but also will make a computer a malware victim. Having such programs installed, is the easiest way to get infected. It is the leading cause of ransomware encryptions. It is at times also big source of current trojan infections. Please uninstall them now, if any are here, before we start the cleaning procedure.
  • Please stick with me until I give you the "all clear".
  • If your system is running Discord, please be sure to Exit out of it while this case is on-going.

Some first steps to do.
Please  set File Explorer to SHOW ALL folders, all files, including Hidden ones.  Use OPTION ONE or TWO of this article
Please use this Guide

( 2 )
Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings ( gear ) icon. Next, lets make real sure that Malwarebytes does NOT register with Windows Security Center

Click the Security Tab. Scroll down to

"Windows Security Center"

Click the selection to the left  for the line "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center".
{ We want that to be set as Off   .... be sure that line's  radio-button selection is all the way to the Left.  thanks. }

This will not affect any real-time protection of the Malwarebytes for Windows    😃.

Close Malwarebytes.

( 3 )

Next action step:
Disable ( turn OFF ) Fast Startup

See guide https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

Then restart the computer

( 4 )
Know that a slow Windows system may be due to non-malware sources.
I would like more specifics on what folders specifically you are referring to. I also need some detail on what "Windows services" you refer to.

...perform a whole ritual with stop apparently legitimate services....

( 5 )

A next action I would recommend is to Uninstall qBittorrent.
There have been many Block notice events by Malwarebytes real-time web protection when qBittorrent was active, which resulted in Outbound attempts to reach IP addresses that were to locations identified by web protection as threats.
Torrenting & filesharing. Try to not do that, as a general security matter. All it takes is one malicious file to lead to tragedy & loss.
https://informationsecuritybuzz.com/articles/torrenting-know-risks-take/

Edited by Maurice Naggar
  • Like 1

Hello and thank you!  I've taken all of the steps c:

It's difficult to be specific about which folders, because I only remember to go through occasionally, but I find that things I've deleted before in my program files folder and AppData local and roaming folder reemerge.  Although for AppData, that's typically what will happen when I'm using programs, but they include things for programs I don't have installed like spotify, skype, and others.  When I delete these folders, suddenly my computer runs like a dream, but when I come back the next day, it's bad again.

Something I've done is turn off windows search, because it would show as eating all my CPU in task manager, and because nvidia would show searchapp.exe as running on my GPU.  Nevertheless, it runs in the details tab of task manager.  The same is true of textinputhost.exe and startmenuexperiencehost.exe, which appear to use my GPU at times, and my computer runs better when close them.  Sometimes they stay closed, sometimes the return immediately.  Settings in Nvidia control panel often change by themselves and performance improves when I fix them.  

I suspect my issue is a rootkit, but honestly I have no idea what's going on with my computer. 

• Solution

We will be doing several tasks over several rounds. Please have lots of patience. I do not see any indicators of any "rootkit". I do see a pair of very suspicious scheduled tasks "PowerEngage". I see a restriction on Windows Update that most likely ought not to be there.

Please run the following custom script. Read all of this before you start. Please Close all open work.

Once the script-run has been completed, please attach the file FIXLOG.TXT to your next reply

Farbar program :  is FRSTENGLISH.exe

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to C:\Users\16617\Downloads

Fixlist.txt

NOTE. It's important that both files, FRSTENGLISH, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Use File Explorer to go to the Downloads folder

RIGHT-Click on   FRSTENGLISH and select

RUN as Administrator

and reply YES to allow it to go forward to start.

That is important so that this run has Elevated Administrator rights !!

NEXT press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Downloads folder (Fixlog.txt) . Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files.  It will remove a pair of very suspicious scheduled tasks "PowerEngage". It will remove any restriction for Windows Update. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 40-50 minutes or more.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run. Attach FIXLOG.txt with next reply.

Edited by Maurice Naggar
  • Like 1

Thanks. A very good run. Two schedulesd tasks "powerengage" are no longer around. All temporary file areas have been cleared out, as well as the cache areas of Edge, Chrome, & Firefox. Hopefully the web browsers will be a bit faster. We also cleaned out some dead, old scheduled tasks. That too ought to mean a bit more snappier response.
Now, we should run a first antivirus, malware scan; this using Microsoft Defender antivirus.
Do a Update run & do a Custom scan on the C drive.

• From the Windows Start menu, select Settings, then select Update and Security.
  • Next, look at the left-side menu & select Windows Security
  • Next, In Windows Security section: Click on the grey button Open Windows Security
  • Now, click on the shield Virus and threat protection
  • Look to see that Microsoft Defender is shown & available for use.
  • On the next display, look at all the options.  Look down the list and see "Check for Updates" .
  • You should click on that to have the system check for updates for Windows Defender.  Watch & wait for that to complete.
  • Please also note that the Scan options (all) can be displayed by clicking on Scan options.
  • I would like you to select CUSTOM scan from scan options
  • Then select the C drive
  • Then have it scan the whole C drive.
  • Like 1

That is excellent. As a next step, I suggest the following:

This is for a scan with ESET Onlinescanner (free). ESET is a well-respected, well-known entity and tool.

This here you can start & once it is under way, you can leave the machine alone & let it run over-night. No need to keep watch once it starts the actual scan run.

Next, This will be a check with ESET Onlinescanner for viruses, other malware, adwares, & potentially unwanted applications.

Go to https://download.eset.com/com/eset/tools/online_scanner/latest/esetonlinescanner.exe

It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner.exe"

• Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.
  • Go to the saved file, and double click it to get it started.

• When presented with the initial ESET options, click on "Computer Scan".
  • Next, when prompted by Windows, allow it to start by clicking Yes
  • When prompted for scan type, Click on CUSTOM scan  and select C drive to be scanned
  • Look at & tick ( select ) the radio selection "Enable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications"
  • and click on Start scan button.

Have patience. The entire process may take an hour or more. There is an initial update download.
There is a progress window display. You may step away from machine &. Let it be. That is, once it is under way, you should leave it running. It will run for several hours.

• At screen "Detections occurred and resolved" click on blue button "View detected results"
  • On next screen, at lower left, click on blue "Save scan log"
  • View where file is to be saved. Provide a meaningful name for the "File name:"
  • On last screen, set to Off (left) the option for Periodic scanning
  • Click "save and continue"
  • Please attach the report file so I can review
  • Like 1

Very good. 👍 

Let's do one scan with Malwarebytes Adwcleaner to check for adwares. Just before pressing that "scan" button, be sure that Chrome & Edge, or other web browser are Closed.

It will not take much time,

First download & save it
guide & download link

Then be sure to close all web browsers after the download & before launching the tool.

Then go to where the EXE file is saved. Start Adwcleaner.  Then do a scan with Adwcleaner

Guide article

Attach the clean log from Adwcleaner when all completed.

• Like 1

Great 😀 We are near the home stretch. 

Temporarily disable Microsoft SmartScreen to download the next software below 

I would recommend getting a readout report as to update status of some key apps.
Download SecurityCheck by glax24 from here

and save the tool on the desktop.

If Windows's  SmartScreen block that with a message-window, then
                         Click on the MORE INFO spot and over-ride that and allow it to proceed.

This tool is safe.   Smartscreen is overly sensitive.

Right-click  with your mouse on the Securitycheck.exe  and select "Run as administrator"   and reply YES to allow to run & go forward
Wait for the scan to finish. It will open in a text file named SecurityType.txt. Close the file.  Attach it with your next reply.
You can find this file in a folder called SecurityCheck, C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt

When all done, you may go back to turn ON the EDGE Smartscreen protection.

• Like 1

Thank you.
There is a newer version of Malwarebytes for Windows. I would suggest that you insure to have Version 4.5.23.241 .Do a Check for Update using the Malwarebytes Settings >> General tab.

See this Support Guide https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042187934-Check-for-updates-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows

When it shows a new version available, Accept it and let it proceed forward. Be sure it succeeds.
If prompted to do a Restart, just please follow all directions.

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 v.14.0.7015.1000 Warning! This software is no longer supported. Please use latest Microsift Office, Office Online or LibreOffice

WinRAR 5.40 (64-bit) v.5.40.0 Warning! Download Update

Discord v.1.0.9004 Warning! Download Update

Google Chrome v.110.0.5481.105  Warning! Download Update

Microsoft Edge v.110.0.1587.56  Warning! Download Update

I would highly suggest to insure that this pc is all up-to-date with security updates & cumulative updates on Windows. select the Windows Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & Security  > Windows Update . and click Check for Updates.
Have much patience.

Let's go ahead and do some clean-up work and remove the tools and logs we've run.
Please download KpRm by kernel-panik and save it to your desktop.

• right-click kprm_(version).exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Read and accept the disclaimer.
  • When the tool opens, ensure all boxes under Actions are checked.
  • Under Delete Quarantines select Delete Now, then click Run.
  • Once complete, click OK.
  • A log will open in Notepad titled kprm-(date).txt.
  • You may attach that file to your next reply. (not compulsory)

Delete mb-support-1.8.7.918.exe
Delete mbst-grab-results.zip on the Desktop.

Adwcleaner you may keep and use as needed.
Any other download file I had you download, you may delete.
Consider using PatchMyPC, keep all your software up-to-date - https://patchmypc.com/home-updater#download

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

I am marking this case for closure. I am glad to have worked with you.
I wish you all the best. Stay safe.

Sincerely.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Corrected font issue
  • Like 1

You are most welcome. I'm very pleased to have helped. 😎

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following to help you better protect your computer and privacy Tips to help protect from infection

Sincerely.

• Like 1