Windows XP Repair Installation

Data

The operating system is re-installed at whatever level is on the disk. Your applications (programs) and data should still be there (it's highly advisable to back up your data first if possible) after the repair install. You will have to reinstall all the MS security patches that have been released since your OS disc was produced. I've done 2 repair installs over the years without issues.

In your best opinion..is this the best way to correct multiple errors with the OS?

For example, the help and support, workstation, security center, system restore (just to name a few) services are no longer functioning and give errors when attempted to be started manually-

If you attempt a repair install when there is still malware (especially rootkits) present on your computer, you may end up with a computer that will not start up at all. You should make sure all malware (especially rootkits) are completely removed before attempting a repair install.

In your best opinion..is this the best way to correct multiple errors with the OS?

For example, the help and support, workstation, security center, system restore (just to name a few) services are no longer functioning and give errors when attempted to be started manually-

If these amounts of problems still exist, then are you 100% sure you have fully cleaned your system -

As per statement by marktreg @ 9.088 am -

You can do a repair from the CD without a reinstall - It is almost like a system restore -

Let's be sure I understand what you are saying-

I am not planning on doing a complete reinstallation of the OS-

The plan is to boot from the OS cd and select the option for Repair (not the one that uses the recovery console)-

Am I correct in the actions I am about to take?

That worked great!-

I backed up all my information- (Thankfully it was not needed)-

I had to go to the MS and download the updates (small price to pay)-

The new issue is that two items keep trying to install on restart-

1) Microsoft .net Framework (fails)

2) Fax (fails)

Both are asking for CD's to find files the programs are looking for-

I don't think I want or need either one of these items-

Can you suggest something to stop this-

I would try this first.

Download and install the FULL version of SP3 here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Then install any Microsoft Updates again.

If this does not work you could search microsoft.com for instructions on how to manually uninstall .net Framework and Microsoft Fax. Unfortunately, it can be quite an involved process.

After that, if you decide you do need .net Framework and Microsoft Fax, you can reinstall them either through add/remove Windows components or Microsoft Update.