Have no thumbnails; mbam shows as moved or missing

Go to solution Solved by AdvancedSetup,

I haven't been on the forum for a long time. To my surprise, I was going to change a folder icon and discovered that all my thumbnails have gone missing. The icon for mbam is also missing and according to the window I got, has either been moved or is missing. 

I hope someone can help me out. I have Windows 10 on my Dell desktop.

1252414913_mbamicon.JPG.782ed0ec9029f78e564004d3f23d68bd.JPG

• Root Admin
  • Solution

Hello @Nikilet

My screen name is AdvancedSetup and I will assist you with your system issues.

It's late for me so I will probably reply to you tomorrow.

Let's keep these principles as we proceed. Make sure to read the entire post below first.

• Please follow all steps in the provided order and post back all requested logs
  • Please attach all log files to your post, unless otherwise requested
  • Temporarily disable your antivirus or other security software first. Make sure to turn it back on once the scans have been completed.
  • Temporarily disable Microsoft SmartScreen to download the software below if needed. Make sure to turn it back on once the scans are completed.
  • Searching, detecting, and removing malware isn't instantaneous and there is no guarantee to repair every system.
  • Before we start, please make sure that you have an external backup, not connected to this system, of all private data.
  • Do not run online games while the case is ongoing. Do not do any free-wheeling or risky web-surfing.
  • Only run the tools I guide you to use. Please don't run any other scans, download, install or uninstall any programs while I'm working with you.
  • Cracked, Hacked, or Pirated programs are not only illegal but also can make a computer a malware victim. Having such programs installed is the easiest way to get infected. It is the leading cause of ransomware encryption. It is at times also a big source of current Trojan infections. If there are any on the system you should uninstall them before we proceed.
  • Please be patient and stick with me until I give you the "all clear". We don't want to waste your time, please don't waste ours.
  • If your system is running Discord, please be sure to Exit it while this case is ongoing.

To begin, please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting. This is a report only.

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained are safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thank you

Just reporting that when I first checked this morrning I still had no thumbnails.  I was messing around just trying to change the icon on some folders and all of a sudden all my thumbnails came back. I still have the problem with mbam. 

I no longer use SuperAntiSpyware or Win Patrol.

• Root Admin

You may need to temporarily disable EMSI real-time protection before running the following.

Please save the attached FIXLIST.TXT file to the following folder.   C:\Users\Cindy\Downloads

Then using My Computer or File Explorer locate and right click over C:\Users\Cindy\Downloads\FRSTEnglish.exe  and select "Run as administrator"

Then click on the FIX button. 

That should create a FIXLOG.TXT file in the C:\Users\Cindy\Downloads    folder. Please attach that file on your next reply @Nikilet

fixlist.txt

Thanks

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Updated information

• Root Admin

I'm not sure what is going on as the logs do not indicate any obvious removal or deletion on purpose.

These are the most recent uninstall listed on your system.

Index Time         EntryType   Source       InstanceID Message                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
 ----- ----         ---------   ------       ---------- -------                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
133457 May 10 22:18 Information MsiInstaller       1034 Windows Installer removed the product. Product Name: Microsoft .NET Runtime - 5.0.16 (x64). Product Version: 40.64.31117. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Removal success or error status: 0.         
133451 May 10 22:18 Information MsiInstaller       1034 Windows Installer removed the product. Product Name: Microsoft .NET Host FX Resolver - 5.0.16 (x64). Product Version: 40.64.31117. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Removal success or error status: 0.
163617 Sep 13 14:04 Information MsiInstaller       1034 Windows Installer removed the product. Product Name: Microsoft .NET Runtime - 6.0.8 (x64). Product Version: 48.35.45462. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Removal success or error status: 0.          
163606 Sep 13 14:04 Information MsiInstaller       1034 Windows Installer removed the product. Product Name: Microsoft .NET Host FX Resolver - 6.0.8 (x64). Product Version: 48.35.45462. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Removal success or error status: 0.

Yes, OneDrive can be a great product or an annoying one.

Here are some links about OneDrive

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/onedrive-video-training-1f608184-b7e6-43ca-8753-2ff679203132

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/store-share-and-sync-your-files-1e43a2ba-059d-44cd-ac3f-91c71de6f10c

For now, to put Malwarebytes back onto the system, please try the following and let's hope that OneDrive is not manipulating the files or folders.

Can you please do the following?

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • In the Advanced Options, click the CLEAN button and follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall Malwarebytes
  • NOTE: Please have patience as it can take a while to remove and reinstall. The computer will restart to complete

After the restart please do the following

• In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thank you

Well, how do I get my mbam to working again? It was on my computer and working and now I can't find it; I looked in the Program Files folders in my C drive and it isn't there. Do I reinstall? Should there be some kind of mbam uninistall or clean up done first?

Oops! Sorry, I didn't read far enough. I am now working on your instructions for cleaning up mbam.

Edited by Nikilet

• Root Admin

No problem. @Nikilet

As long as all is working well. The logs did not show what caused the issue, but my suspicions are that it's somehow connected to Microsoft OneDrive and why I provided links that might help you to better understand how to use OneDrive

Please download and run the following program to have it scan for updates and install them for you.

Patch My PC Home Updater
https://patchmypc.com/home-updater

• 1 month later...
  • Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following to help you better protect your computer and privacy Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you