A couple of questions--

and today I found myself infected again (quick scan done this weekend with no results) and unable to open MalwareBytes program. I restored my system and downloaded MalwareBytes again. It founf three objects and they were quarantined.

My questions:

What could have occured?

Why,if infected,was I unable to access the MalwareBytes program to run a scan? Is this because it is a free version and is the paid version any better? While I like the service I do not want to waste money on something that gets deactivated.

What is different with MalwareBytes from,say Spy-Bot or other sites? Is there support that comes with my purchase?

I plan on buying but still want to see how this works.So far I guess I am mixed since I was disabled after fifteen days.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums fatdaddy,

The free version of MBAM is an on demand scanner meaning it only scans or runs when you tell it to. The paid version of the program has real-time, on-access protection that will scan files as they are executed along with the option of scanning your computer when you feel it is necessary. The paid version also includes a lifetime license that never expires, the ability to schedule updates and quick scans, and the new IP Protection feature that prevents your computer from making contact with known malicious IP addresses.

Most of the malware out there today is nasty. They install rootkits which hijack your computer, preventing executable files, especially security tools like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from running. They do this so you cannot clean your computer. Trained experts are available in the Malware Removal section of the forum that can help you try to get your computer clean. Please read this thread first though: I'm infected - What do I do now?

In my experience, MBAM is a lot more efficient than Spybot, the definitions are updated a lot more frequently although Spybot is starting to get the hint and is updating a little more often. MBAM finds all the malware that the a/v's can't seem to remove properly or even detect. They are on the cutting edge of malware removal and MBAM is a good tool to have in your back pocket.

Take care,

Keith

Welcome to the forums fatdaddy,

The free version of MBAM is an on demand scanner meaning it only scans or runs when you tell it to. The paid version of the program has real-time, on-access protection that will scan files as they are executed along with the option of scanning your computer when you feel it is necessary. The paid version also includes a lifetime license that never expires, the ability to schedule updates and quick scans, and the new IP Protection feature that prevents your computer from making contact with known malicious IP addresses.

Most of the malware out there today is nasty. They install rootkits which hijack your computer, preventing executable files, especially security tools like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from running. They do this so you cannot clean your computer. Trained experts are available in the Malware Removal section of the forum that can help you try to get your computer clean. Please read this thread first though: I'm infected - What do I do now?

In my experience, MBAM is a lot more efficient than Spybot, the definitions are updated a lot more frequently although Spybot is starting to get the hint and is updating a little more often. MBAM finds all the malware that the a/v's can't seem to remove properly or even detect. They are on the cutting edge of malware removal and MBAM is a good tool to have in your back pocket.

Take care,

Keith

One more question--

If I subscribe to the paid version and then decide to buy another computer (I might go with Apple this time) can I transfer my subscription/account to my new machine?

Does one paid subscription cover all the desktops in my house (I would not bother trying to figure out how to do it,but thought I would ask).

Thanks.

Greetings :blush: .

You can transfer your license for Malwarebytes' to another computer (I'm assuming you're talking about using something like Boot Camp as MBAM isn't OSX compatible :) ) but it can only be installed on a single computer at a time, if you need to protect more than one PC you can purchase multiple licenses simultaneously and receive a discount :) . When transferring to a new machine just follow the instructions in this post then install it on your new machine and input your activation key and ID.

Don't know what boot camp is. I was talking aboput the desktop acroos the room that the kids use. I have to assume that they are infected as can be but they do not complain so things must be sort of running smoothly. Anyway,I get it and will just buy for this one and am glad I can transfer if I buy a new setup. Not looking to since $$ is very tight right now but I am going to buy the paid version on Friday.Thanks again.