Possible crypto-miner on my PC.

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

Recently i've noticed my PC preform slow, so i decided to scan my PC with McAfee and Malwarebytes, McAfee detected a trojan in my microsoft edge cache files ,and after that I did a MB scan and It detected a PUP called "InstantAdware", I thought the virus was gone, and didnt worry much about it until 3 days ago when a third party app called "PDF Manager" was installed, I ran a scan with McAfee, MalwareBytes, and Hitman Sophos and all detected nothing. Today, I booted into safe mode and ran a scan with MalwareBytes (I wiped temp files, and disconnected from my internet), and it detected nothing (I did forget to enable rootkit scanning so could be the problem), I'm just paranoid that my PC will get shitted by all the crypto mining thats being done.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello :welcome:

My name is Maurice. I will guide you,  Please always attach files / reports as we go along.

I need a fuller set of reports for review so that I can review & guide you.

Please download  Malwarebytes' MBST Support Tool

Once you start it click Advanced > Gather Logs

Upload an archive once it is done. Attach the mbst-grab-results.zip from the Desktop.

• Please attach  mbst-grab-results.zip    to your reply , like displayed here.
  • To send  ( upload)   attachments please click the link as shown below. Then browse to where your file is located and select it and click the Open button.

_mb_attach.jpg

You describe having run 4 different security scanners.  Does any 1 currently report a infection ?

Further to my asking for report in first post of mine.   Do this too.

Let me suggest you do one scan with Adwcleaner to check for adwares.

It will not take much time,

First download & save it 

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038520054-Download-and-install-Malwarebytes-AdwCleaner

Then do a scan with Adwcleaner 

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038520114-Malwarebytes-AdwCleaner-scan-and-clean

Attach the clean log.  

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Hi, I will use AdwCleaner and also give you my logs, but I may have found the virus (maybe could be a false positive), A month back I found a random folder in my appdata roaming called "HolocusTropicalSoft", and that day a month back I looked it up online and that HolocusTropicalSoft was a trojan that fit all my PCs symptoms, It was preforming slowly which the virus is known to make happen, the virus was also known to mine bitcoin, and etc. The articles author says using SpyHunter should be able to catch the virus, so I downloaded it and tried a scan and It detected adware with a 20% risk, and a Trojan called "Trojan.FakeMS" with a 80% risk, but the thing is the Trojan has put itself into a system file called "C:/ProgramData/WindowsPreformanceRecorder", and "C:/ProgramData/WindowsPreformanceRecorder/NGenPbds_Cache", so Im wondering if this is just a false positive or a legit virus that had actually got into my system files. And SpyHunter seems to want to delete the system files, and SpyHunter also wants to delete some file called [F] Preferences, and the program wants me to wait 48 hours to execute all this.

Close "spyhunter".   Dont need it.

If Adwcleaner is still open, then click on Cancel button  & Exit.  Seems all it found are HP manufacturer provided 'applets'.

You say that the support tool did not make a zip file.   So do what follows & get that report attached in a new reply, when done.

FRST Farbar is a report tool.   Widely used.  It is safe to run.   Need this information report very much !

Please download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.

You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.

_frst_scan.jpg

• It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). If you've run it before it may not and you may need to select it manually
  • Please attach both logs to your reply .
  •  
  • To attch  ( upload )  attachments please click the link as shown below. Then browse to where your file is located and select it and click the Open button.

_mb_attach.jpg

Do not go about self medicating with any other tools on youw own.  If you have questions, please Stop  and ask first.

** After you have relayed the FRST reports ..... here is the next steps.  This will be a scan for viruses & trojans & it will remove what it detects.  It is free.  It is trusted. **

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system. 

The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

From the Scan options, select "FULL" scan. Patience since this can take hours.

Let me know the result of this.

The log is named MSERT.log  

the log will be at  

C:\Windows\debug\msert.log

Please attach that log with your reply.