I keep getting spam on my Andriod phone:-

"Automatically forward SMS messages to your PC/phone

Your free trial of premium version has ended"

It does not come via text but by notifications.

I use Malwarebytes on my phone but when I run a scan Malwarebytes does not pick up this scam. 

If I upgrade to MalwareBytes premium, as I have on my pc, would the scam be found?

Any advice please?

Hi @athegn,

This is either Adware or browser related ads.  Browser related ads are caused by the way browsers handle redirections executed by JavaScript code.  Most browsers do not do a great job of preventing these redirects, which can also cause ad pop-ups.  Unethical advertising affiliates are aware of this and exploit this weakness.  Even if an advertising affiliate is shut down for using this exploit, they just come back with a different affiliate id and are right back at it.

The best way to block these pop-ups is to try a different browser, disable JavaScript, install a browser with ad blocking (like Brave), and/or install Ad-block Plus.

If you encounter these pop-ups again, back out of them using Android's back key. Clearing your history and cache within the browser will help stop the ads from reoccurring.  In addition, clearing the Storage & Cache within the browser’s App Info itself also helps:

1. Go to Settings > App Info
  2. Go to your browser app icon in App info list (such as Chrome) and click on it
  3. Once in your browser’s App info, go to Storage & cache
    1. Click Clear Storage
    2. Click Clear cache

To have us check for Adware, you can send an Apps Report.

To send an Apps Report with Malwarebytes for Android use the following instructions.

1. Open the Malwarebytes for Android app.
  2. Tap the Menu icon.
  3. Tap Your apps.
  4. Tap three lines icon in upper right corner.
  5. Tap Send to support

Choose an email app to send Apps Report.

Your email app will open with the Apps Report included.

At this point, it would be very helpful to mention you are submitting via recommendation from the Malwarebytes forum.  This allows our support staff to know where to direct it.

By sending the Apps Report, you will create a ticket in our support system.

Private Message (PM) me the email used and/or the ticket number assigned.

Nathan

Hi @athegn,

Okay, I found the ticket.  Unfortunately, Google PLAY policies do not allow us to have SMS blocking in our app so we had to remove it some time ago.  You might want to consider using a different SMS messaging app to see if it does a better job of blocking.  Maybe try Google Messages.  SMS spam is becoming more common, and unfortunately with Google's policies are hands are tied to do anything about it.  Sorry we can not do more for you.

Nathan