Problems identified by MBAR 1.10.3.1001 on Windows XP SP3

I ran MBAR 1.10.3.1001 on Windows XP SP3 and was notified about tthe following two problems: -

HKCR\piffile\shell\open\command  (Broken.Open.Command)
HKCR\scrfile\shell\open\command  (Broken.Open.Command)

I instructed MBAR to delete these.

I have no idea what the effects of these problems being present might be.

Edited by hake

• hake changed the title to Problems identified by MBAR 1.10.3.1001 on Windows XP SP3

Those detections are for PUMs (Potentially Unwanted Modifications) for the default handlers for those two file types.  They are detected because malware or malicious actors may alter the default handlers for some common file types so that malicious code is executed or so that those file types no longer function.

That said, more often than not, these specific file types are modified by some third party security tools (such as System Mechanic among others) as a security measure to render those file types non-executable in case a future malicious actor or Trojan might use one of those file types to execute malicious code (i.e. an SCR file (screensaver) which is actually a piece of malware rather than a legitimate screensaver) and this is likely the source of the modifications.

A handful of common examples of PUM detections can be found in this support article.

I hope that helps to clarify things, and if you aren't certain of the source of the changes you can have MBAR fix them and restart the system and they should not return unless there is a program or process on the system actively monitoring and changing them (though that is unlikely).

Please let us know if you have any further questions or issues.

Thanks