Windows 10 operating system, highlighting text does not work correctly.

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

Highlighting of text does not work correctly

When I attempt to highlight text and hold down the mouse button at where I want it to start

The following happens

• Highlights a couple words
  • Highlights in the middle of the sentence a few words
  • It starts to highlight correctly but turns off without releasing the button
  • Highlights then when I release, releases the text
  • Excel can't highlight multiple cells
  • Happens with all my Microsoft, Adobe programs. It happens online, it is happening now.

Thank you for your assistance. 

Treza

Hello   :welcome:

What is the Windows build & version ?

Has Malwarebytes for Windows reported a active current malware infection?

Has Microsoft Windows Defender antivirus or some other known antivirus identified a active current infection ?

If there is no current infection, the issue at hand belongs in another area, such as for example Windows general Help sub-forum.

Maurice, Happy New Year! Thank you for responding...

• Windows 10 on PC
  • Has Malwarebytes for Windows reported a active current malware infection? No
  • Has Microsoft Windows Defender antivirus or some other known antivirus identified a active current infection ? Defender No, Malewarebytes no, norton 360 no.

• Do you think it has something to do with Microsoft although I am experiencing now online?
  • I did the following: Perform Clean Boot, 
  • * sfc /scannow
    * DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    * DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    * DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    provided by Microsoft forum
  • and in place repair

I still have the problem, why would it cause problems online and with my programs if it was not a virus?

Thank you...

Windows can have a glitch or two  whereby you see the issue, like you described.   You have done quite a few things already.

You do report that neither Malwarebytes for Windows, or Norton 360 report malware !!   That is a huge giant tip.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner  is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that  can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system.

The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Let me know the result of this.

The log is named MSERT.log 

the log will be at  C:\Windows\debug\msert.log

Please attach that log with your reply.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Hello, program did not find any infections, I ran a full scan and a short scan. My last resort is the following, but I hate to have all my programs removed. Thank you for your assistance...  

The steps that was provided on the previous threads/post are all performed and issue still remains. Please do perform custom install on your computer to fix any windows corrupted files or faulty services running on your computer. Custom Install of windows will re-install windows on your computer, fixing all errors and missing update components on your computer however it will reset all the settings of your computer and all application installed on your computer will be removed living only your personal files intact and will be moved to windows.old folder inside C drive after process completes. If you want to proceed with Custom Install please click on the link below and follow the steps provided on the link.

NOTE: Please make sure to follow the steps accurately as it may remove all your personal files if the partition accidently deleted.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Steps that you need to follow:

1. Create a bootable drive of windows
2. Boot from that USB bootable drive
3. Once booted, Click on Next then Install
4. Accept the License Terms and click Next
5. Select Custom, Install Windows Only
6. You will be presented with a list of disk drives, identify the drive where your windows is installed. Usually it is C drive and labeled Primary
7. Highlight the drive and click next
8. Notification for the installation will pop-up indicating that files will be moved. Click OK
9. Wait for the installation to complete. Once completed, boot to Hard drive and wait until process completes.

You report that the Microsoft Safety Scanner scanned and reported "no infection".

Where did you get the list of steps above  and why are you posting that here ?

I take it that this was taken from some place on the Microsoft Answers forum.

Have you posted about this situation there ?  or at any other venue ?   If so, provide the links.

On this topic-thread here, we have zero diagnostic reports from your system.  So that I cannot make a judgement.

What is known is that several security programs have scanned this system and reported no infection.

The last one was the Microsoft Safety Scanner

You have said that Malwarebytes for Windows & Windows Defender & Norton each have reported no infection.

Please download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.

You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.

_frst_scan.jpg

• It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). If you've run it before it may not and you may need to select it manually
  • Please attach both logs to your reply if possible. 
  • To upload attachments please click the link as shown below. Then browse to where your file is located and select it and click the Open button.

_mb_attach.jpg

Hello, files FRST and Addition attached.

I posted the steps previously because I wanted you to know what I had done previously without success. The only step I did not perform was to clean system entirely including removing my programs. I want to exhaust efforts before performing those steps.

Again, thank you...

Treza

FRST.txt Addition.txt

Hello.  The Farbar FRST reports indicate that the latest Windows 10 is the OS currently in place.    Windows 10 Home Version 20H2 19042.685 

The charter if this sub-forum is just on removal of malware on Windows systems.  If it is determined that no malware is on this system,  I will have to point you to external resources on external forums, such as Sysnative.

On just a initial look at the FRST, I notice this machine does not have Malwarebytes for Windows installed.   [ It would be nice to scan with it. It can be got for free and scans done to check.]

The Windows system indicates that Microsoft Defender antivirus has had issues.

Date: 2021-01-08 14:27:55.9700000Z
Description: 
Microsoft Defender Antivirus scan has been stopped before completion.

Date: 2021-01-07 14:55:13.1480000Z
Description: 
Microsoft Defender Antivirus scan has been stopped before completion.

Very first suggestions at this point.

I want to be sure that your Windows 10 is able to do a scan with the Windows 10 Windows Defender antivirus.   Just do a FULL scan with Windows Defender.

Open an elevated command prompt window i.e. run Command Prompt as an administrator .

It is best to use the Windows Copy ( CTRL+ C )  and paste  ( CTRL+V )  for the whole line, as-is

To Get the elevated command prompt, press Windows-key + X key  and then selected Command prompt ( Admin )

On that command prompt,  Copy & Paste this command

"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate

and tap Enter-key.   This should do a definitions update run for Microsoft Windows Defender & should be very quick.

NEXT

On the command prompt-windows,  Copy & Paste this command

"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -Scan -ScanType 2

and press Enter-key.   This will begin a Full scan mode run of Windows Defender antivirus.

Have lots of patience.  The run may take an hour or two or more   ( depending on how many files are on the system.

Maurice,

Hello, I temporarily removed Malwarebytes because one of the test required disabling my antivirus scanners and I did not figure out how to disable that one. I reinstalled it today and it still did not report malware.

I ran defender, I did not see a log after completion. I attached a jpg after the scan.

Thank you,

Treza

Defender 1 9 21.jpg

• Solution

Thanks for the screen-grab.  You need not have uninstalled Malwarebytes for Windows.   You can re-install it.

Windows reports that there us a serious issue with a USB device on this system.
==================== Faulty Device Manager Devices ============

Name: Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)
Description: Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)
Class Guid: {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}
Manufacturer: (Standard USB Host Controller)
Service: 
Problem: : Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)
Resolution: One of the drivers controlling the device notified the operating system that the device failed in some manner. For more information about how to diagnose the problem, see the hardware documentation. 

One needs to do good research on the Windows Device Manager to see which device this is.
IS it the mouse ?
Beyond that, be aware that the Windows System Restore service is NOT currently enabled.

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you