Android: chrome redirect (not same as others posted on here)

Hi All

First post. Hopefully not too many more. 

Getting redirects to numerous sites e.g.

cometocleannow.com
vbg.dorputolano.com
rouonixon.com

....the redirect happens often when i click on chrome browser - a new page opens as per above and then notifications pop up for scanning software, virgin media (bit odd) etc. 

I have googled for resolving redirects and its fairly generic feedback. i have done:

• clear cache; disabled push notifications; disabled javascript. 
  • run malwarebytes
  • run AV scan

nothing is found, nor resolved. i am not even sure where this malware came from, i havent clicked on anything dodgy, or opened up any spam emails, and run AV sw on my phone. 

i am worried about additional malware, trojans if i accidentally click on these pop ups. also nervy about having my google account open now if there is keylogger stuff on it. 

this is driving me crazy.

any ideas? apologies if already posted, but i did a thorough search of the forums. 

thks,

rosho

• Like 2

Hello!

This happened to me this morning as well. I did a ton of googling to find a solution and it was a mix and match of things. I think I've found my problem, (not sure if it'll be different for you all), but I also don't know how often those websites will come back and redirect out of nowhere but it hasn't happened yet since this morning so I'll assume it worked.

What I did was I went to my google history from my phone in the upper right corner, then at the top of History, you'll see myactivity.google .com which will show you in detail what happens on your phone. I went to where those redirect websites came up and at 1:10 am my time, my Barcode Scan APP was used while I was asleep. After the Barcode App was opened, the dorputolano and onixon showed up. Then my barcode app was used once again. All of this happened at 1:10 am when I was not on my phone. (This app has been removed from google playstore so this is probably where the scam/malware came from) I have since deleted the app and the redirect websites haven't showed up.

So I guess my solution is for you all to check your myactivity.google. com and look for when these sites popped up and what happened before or after them and then delete that app or whatever it is.

Screenshot_20201222-052308_Chrome~2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

11 hours ago, Anon00 said:

Hello!

This happened to me this morning as well. I did a ton of googling to find a solution and it was a mix and match of things. I think I've found my problem, (not sure if it'll be different for you all), but I also don't know how often those websites will come back and redirect out of nowhere but it hasn't happened yet since this morning so I'll assume it worked.......

you little genius - well done!!!!!!

same issue, i have had this app for ages. wtf. glad everyone else looks to be sorted also. 

thanks again!

• Thanks 1

I had this identical issue on my LG G7 thinQ. I cleared cache, deleted suspected apps  ran several AVs  . But to no avail. Finally late last night I reset to factory in order to get relief.  Sadly I found this link too late.  Yes indeed I had the BarCode App installed.  I also did the history check and the site did appear after the bar code scanner launched by itself.

I have had that app for several years. Its scary that it suddenly 'woke up'.  Makes on wonder what other sleeper app are out there.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TRSands said:

I had this identical issue on my LG G7 thinQ. I cleared cache, deleted suspected apps  ran several AVs  . But to no avail. Finally late last night I reset to factory in order to get relief.  Sadly I found this link too late.  Yes indeed I had the BarCode App installed.  I also did the history check and the site did appear after the bar code scanner launched by itself.

I have had that app for several years. Its scary that it suddenly 'woke up'.  Makes on wonder what other sleeper app are out there.

agree TRSands, very weird that its sleeper malware......or potentially an update which wasnt authorised since? and how was it compromised, by the app owners? or that was hacked itself? how does it work, how do we secure our phones against this sort of intrusion......i understand redirection through js is common, but theres many other parts to this vulnerability. 

would be nice for moderators/admin from this site to acknowledge it. 

1 hour ago, TRSands said:

I have been reading the reviews in the Playstore it appears that this is the result of an update in December which activated ads everytime the phone is unlocked. Needless to say 90% of the comments were negative

btw, how did you guys find this thread? 

did you search on the same urls i posted?

Great job community!  And awesome malware research @Anon00!   If someone could PM me the link to this QR Scanner I'll add a detection for it.  Another option if you still are experiencing issues is to send an Apps Report.

To send an Apps Report with Malwarebytes for Android use the following instructions.

1. Open the Malwarebytes for Android app.

2. Tap the Menu icon.

3. Tap Your apps.

4. Tap three lines icon in upper right corner.

5. Tap Send to support

Choose an email app to send Apps Report.

Your email app will open with the Apps Report included.

At this point, it would be very helpful to mention you are submitting via recommendation from the Malwareybtes forum.  This allows our support staff to know where to direct it.

By sending the Apps Report, you will create a ticket in our support system.

Private Message (PM) me the email used and/or the ticket number assigned.

Nathan

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...