Internet has become abnormally slow

Good afternoon, lately my internet connection started being really slow so I thought it could be caused by a malware, then I decided to install and run Malwarebytes on my PC since Windows Defender didn't help me at all. This problem only occurs temporally, then my connection works normally for a few hours, like in the midnight, so I don't think it's about hardware.

Malwarebytes found many threats which I've already deleted, but I'll post its scan log anyway. It solved an issue that made the Google website be slow, but my internet is still failing a lot. Of course, I've been talking to my internet provider company, but they found no issues, and my speed should be 100 Mb/s as it's shown by the speed tests but it's clearly not. Furthermore this is happening to other devices connected via Wi-Fi.

the thing is with videogames mostly, i lose a lot of packets, my packet loss is through the  roof like 60% and my isp dont know whats going on cause in their system everything seems to be ok.

At this point I'm totally lost, so I'd be grateful if you could help me. Thank you very much.

• Root Admin

Hello @Americo

Please post the scan log from Malwarebytes, then run the following for me including a new scan from Malwarebytes.

Please run the following steps and post back the logs as an attachment when ready.
Temporarily disable your antivirus or other security software first. Make sure to turn it back on once the scans are completed.
Temporarily disable Microsoft SmartScreen to download software below if needed. Make sure to turn it back on once the scans are completed.
If you still have trouble downloading the software please click on Reveal Hidden Contents below for examples of how to allow the download.

Spoiler

Spoiler

When downloading with some browsers you may see a different style of screens that may block FRST from downloading. The program is safe and used hundreds of times a week by many users.

Example of Microsoft Edge blocking the download

image.png

image.png

image.png

STEP 01

• If you already have Malwarebytes installed then open Malwarebytes and click on the Scan button. It will automatically check for updates and run a Threat Scan.
  • If you don't have Malwarebytes installed yet please download it from here and install it.
  • Once installed then open Malwarebytes and select Scan and let it run.
  • Once the scan is completed make sure you have it quarantine any detections it finds.
  • If no detections were found click on the Save results drop-down, then the Export to TXT  button, and save the file as a Text file to your desktop or other location you can find and attach that log on your next reply.
  • If there were detections then once the quarantine has completed click on the View report button, Then click the Export drop-down, then the Export to TXT  button, and save the file as a Text file to your desktop or other location you can find and attach that log on your next reply.
  • If the computer restarted to quarantine you can access the logs from the Detection History, then the History tab. Highlight the most recent scan and double-click to open it. Then click the Export drop-down, then the Export to TXT  button, and save the file as a Text file to your desktop or other location you can find and attach that log on your next reply.
  • If Malwarebytes won't run then please skip to the next step and let me know in your next reply that the scanner would not run.

STEP 02

Please download AdwCleaner by Malwarebytes and save the file to your Desktop.

• Double-click to run the program
  • Accept the End User License Agreement.
  • Wait until the database is updated.
  • Click Scan Now.
  • When finished, if items are found please click Quarantine.
  • Your PC should reboot now if any items were found.
  • After reboot, a log file will be opened. Attach or Copy its content into your next reply.

RESTART THE COMPUTER Before running Step 3

STEP 03
Please download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens, click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). If you've, run the tool before you need to place a check mark here each time
  • Please attach the Additions.txt log to your reply as well.
  • On your next reply, you should be attaching frst.txt and additions.txt to your post, every time.

Thanks

• Root Admin

Let me have you run a different scanner to double-check. I don't expect it to find anything, but no harm in checking.

I would suggest a free scan with the ESET Online Scanner

Go to https://download.eset.com/com/eset/tools/online_scanner/latest/esetonlinescanner.exe

• It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner.exe"
  • Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.
  • Go to the saved file, and double click it to get it started. 
  • When presented with the initial ESET options, click on "Computer Scan".
  • Next, when prompted by Windows, allow it to start by clicking Yes 
  • When prompted for scan type, Click on Full scan 
  • Look at & tick  ( select )   the radio selection "Enable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications"   and click on Start scan button.
  • Have patience.  The entire process may take an hour or more. There is an initial update download.
  • There is a progress window display.
  • You should ignore all prompts to get the ESET antivirus software program.   ( e.g.  their standard program).   You do not need to buy or get or install anything else.
  • When the scan is completed, if something was found, it will show a screen with the number of detected items.  If so, click the button marked “View detected results”.
  • Click The blue “Save scan log” to save the log.
  • If something was removed and you know it is a false finding, you may click on the blue ”Restore cleaned files”  ( in blue, at bottom).
  • Press Continue when all done.  You should click to off the offer for “periodic scanning”.

aight, you think that theres a malware that causes internet packet loss like in videogames or live streams? it is weird sometimes im ok but that like 1am in the morning and other times i have a packet loss of 60% or more you know what i mean? i think it is on my isp part but im totally lost at this point...happened a few days ago and i was like it cant be my pc but i got like a weird ad on my chrome that was presented like announcements or new publications of my youtube subscribes never clicked on any of them doh and scanned at that time my pc and found some threads and i cleaned them so i dont think its my pc really, whats causing this issue tbh... its prolly my stupid isp that when they changed my velocity they moved something and fkd my life. i will send the log when its done, thanks for your help @AdvancedSetup

• Root Admin

There is no doubt that there is a lot of malware that has the potential to slow your system. Coin miners are just one type there are many others that do all sorts of things in the background and some even in your face that steal process power and/or network bandwidth.

3 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

There is no doubt that there is a lot of malware that has the potential to slow your system. Coin miners are just one type there are many others that do all sorts of things in the background and some even in your face that steal process power and/or network bandwidth.

but after all the tests im doing it should appear something right? at least a trail... but if theres nothing in the scans im doing it must be my internet provider, its all i can think of. Because like ive told you i was perfectly fine 9 days ago with a 60mb connection no problems no packet loss nothing, as soon as they changed my speed to 150mbs my internet went to *****, so im just thinking that it cannot be something in my pc or router... because i have internet. something with mac address maybe? dnshijacking? im lost at this point tbh. 

• Root Admin

Actually it could be your router or your network connection.

If you have a 100Mbps router and you're trying to connect to a faster service it can create what they call flap. The connection opens and closes trying to adjust to the speed offset difference.

You could also potentially have your network card connection set to 100Mbps instead of 1000Mbps

You can also try restarting into Safe Mode with Networking and see if the speeds are any better

Beyond that then yes, probably best to contact your ISP and work with them to see what's going on.

3 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Actually it could be your router or your network connection.

If you have a 100Mbps router and you're trying to connect to a faster service it can create what they call flap. The connection opens and closes trying to adjust to the speed offset difference.

You could also potentially have your network card connection set to 100Mbps instead of 1000Mbps

You can also try restarting into Safe Mode with Networking and see if the speeds are any better

Beyond that then yes, probably best to contact your ISP and work with them to see what's going on.

oic, but when i call them its like idk man i think i know more about this than them it is so annoying. ill send you my ese log thingy
whats exactly a flap? or what  do u mean by that?

ESET log.txt

• Root Admin

Flapping is when the networks are out of sync

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Route_flapping

https://networkencyclopedia.com/flapping/

What you might have is not specifically flapping but many network admins still call it that. Basically as I said above. The speed ratings of a network need to match or that can cause an issue. I'm not saying that is your issue only that it's possible.

Maybe they simply did not setup your speed correctly

• Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you