Can't connect to the internet after running mbam

Ozmo

I ran a routine mbam scan earlier today not expecting to find anything but it did come up with something. After deleting it I can no longer connect to the internet on my computer. I am on a LAN with 2 other computers and they both work fine but mine does not. Since I am not on my computer I can't post the entire log but this is the only problem it found.

Registry Keys Infected:

HKEY_LOCAL_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NDISRD (Trojan.Agent) Quarantine and deleted successfully.

I'm not sure if this is the reason I can't connect to the internet or if its something else but this is the only thing that showed up on mbam. Also after using this other computer on the network my computer seems much slower (when it actually worked) even though nothing else came up on the scan but that is a problem for another day I guess. I really need to be able to connect to the net so if anyone can help me out please do.

Thank you in advance

Ozmo

• Staff

Hi,

While this key is detected by many other scanners as well if you google "System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NDISRD" (since a lot of malware uses it, also see here), we removed this detection from our database since it may be used by legitimate purposes as well.

The removal of that key in your case causes the loss of your internet. Please select the quarantine option and select to restore.

Then reboot!!!! Important!!!

If that didnt work, do next...

Open notepad and copy and paste next present in the quotebox below in it:

(don't forget to copy and paste REGEDIT4)

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ndisrd]

"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001

"Group"="Streams Drivers"

"Start"=dword:00000001

"Type"=dword:00000001

Save this as fix.reg Choose to save as *all files and place it on your desktop.

It should look like this: reg.gif

Doubleclick on it and when it asks you if you want to merge the contents to the registry, click yes/ok.

(grabbed from Windows 2000/XP/2003 (32 bit OS) instructions here: http://www.ntkernel.com/wpfk-help/install.htm)

I was able to restore the key by going to mbam quarantine and restoring it like you said. My internet is working again. I updated mbam and ran another scan and it came up clean. I also ran adaware and avira scans and those are clean as well. Firefox still seems to load pages rather slowly though compared to the other computers on my network. If I download a file that seems to come in at max kps but webpages seem slow. I think it may just be a problem with Firefox but I don't know. Do you have any suggestions? This might not be your area and it's not a big deal but any help would be great and if not thats cool too.

Thank you so much though for getting my internet working again! You're the best Miekiemoes!

• Staff

Hi,

Yes, this could be a Firefox issue. First of all, clean the Firefox cache.

From the "Tools" menu, choose "Clear Private Data..."

By default, Firefox will ask for confirmation - make sure the "Cache" option is selected (and optionally un-select all the other options as shown below) then click the "Clear Private Data Now" button

Also, some add-ons/plugins you have installed in Firefox may cause this slowdown, so the best way to test is to run in Firefox safe mode: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Safe+Mode

If it works OK in the firefox safe mode, then it's one of the add-ons causing this.

Also, not sure if you're using latest Firefox version.

However, ever since Firefox 3, I'm having issues with it as well such as frequent crashes, slowdowns, while it also works fine on my other computers... Even a clean install of Firefox gives me the same issues. I have not really found the cause yet.

I did update to Firefox 3.5 but it was so bad it was pretty much unusable so I went back to an older version. I'm currently running 3.0.13 and it worked a lot better before I tried to update than it does now. I did clean the cache but that seemed to have no effect. I also ran it in safe mode and the difference is speed was very noticeable. I guess that means its one of my add ons. How do I determine which add on or plugin is causing the problem?

• Staff
How do I determine which add on or plugin is causing the problem?

It will be a matter of disabling all add-ons first, restart Firefox, verify it runs better and then enable the add-ons one by one again (with a firefox restart in between everytime), this to figure out what add-on is causing this.

To disable add-ons click Tools > Manage Add-ons, select disable for any add-on under the extensions tab.

Well I disabled all the add ons and it is still slower than running in safemode. I guess I don't really know what to do at this point and you probably don't either. It just seems like Firefox has gone downhill over the last little while. Maybe I need to go back to IE.

• Staff

Do you use a special theme in Firefox? Because you can also try to select the default theme again in Firefox.

Also, does a page load slow or is it rather slow to render? Like this? http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/forum/1/422247&s=slow

In anyway, you may want to take a look here: http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-newsearch....;q=slow&sa=

Btw, a good alternative is Orca Browser: http://www.orcabrowser.com/

You can even use some Firefox extensions in it. ;)

I am using just the default theme. It seems that I am having the same problem as him. If I look at the task manager and then go to a webpage my CPU usage goes up to 100% while firefox is working. Thanks for the links but it doesnt really seem like anyone has any solutions in those threads. Theres got to be something I can do though if it works well in safemode right? I don't know what it is but I'll keep looking around I guess

• Staff

What if you, when you select the Firefox safe mode, check all the boxes there? This will reset everything to default again.

Also, you said before you already tried a reinstall. Was this a Firefox clean install? Since version 3.0, the uninstaller includes the option: "Remove my Firefox personal data and customizations". So when you reinstall Firefox again when you selected that option before, it will be a clean install.

Anyway, as I already told you... ever since I upgraded to FF 3, I have a lot of problems with it as well, so this appears to be a common problem.

Well I guess I lied. After using Firefox the rest of the day there really doesn't seem to be any change after doing that fix. If I reset everything to default in safe mode will that erase my bookmarks or passwords? I'd like to get Firefox working again but I know lots of people are having issues.

On another note I know you said to try Orca but I ended up getting Google Chrome and so far that seems to be working really good. I'll have to use it for awhile longer to really see how it works but I like it.

• Staff

Hi,

will that erase my bookmarks or passwords?
Yes it will. Before you do, you can download this extension to backup your passwords for you: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/internet/fi...passwords-list/

To backup your bookmarks, see here: http://www.firefoxfacts.com/2008/10/21/how...efox-bookmarks/

As a matter of fact, after you have done this, I suggest you do the Firefox clean install (as I explained) instead of the reset. Important step during this uninstall is that you select the "Remove my Firefox personal data and customizations" option at the uninstall screen, otherwise it won't be a clean install and problems will remain.