Word and excel dont always open up

mattmaassen

Just recently I have started to experience issues within my company where I cant always open up excel or word on the first or second try. Sometimes it takes several launches to open it up and you will see one or more excel or winword processes under task manager. I am running windows 10 with Trend Micro Apex One and Malwarebytes Endpoint security simultaneously on the clients computers. I opened a ticket with trend and they said it was due to both trend and Malwarebytes running on the same machine and trying to scan the same files at the same time, I tried to exclude the excel and winword exe files within Malwarebytes, but that didn't fix the problem, Please help. Thanks.

• Staff

Hello @mattmaassen

First I would start by adding these exclusions into Trend Micro if you haven't already - https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039025153-Network-access-requirements-and-firewall-settings-for-Malwarebytes-Cloud-Platform

You can also add exclusions into Malwarebytes for Trend Micro (you may have a more up to date list of programs from them) - https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039019573

If that doesn't work, you can go to cloud.malwarebytes.com -> Policies -> Select the policy you are on -> Settings (Next to General) -> Manage Protected Applications. This is likely where you have Malwarebytes protecting Word and Excel, and possibly having a conflict with Trend. If you are certain that Trend Micro is also protecting those applications in the same way, then both of them trying to inject and protect into those programs from vulnerabilities could be a conflict. I would not recommend leaving these layers off unless you know Trend is also protecting in the same way. You could create a test group and policy with it off and test with a couple machines to see if the issue is resolved first.

Thank you,