So I got to the client's house

nosirrah

and noticed that his PC was up side down .

Next I noticed that the system had 512 megs of ram (-64 for onboard video) , a celeron D , Vista and NIS (on top of a pile of preinstalled junk) . This PC had been out of the box for about 24 hours at this point .

He wanted me to install peoplepc (the ISP that has its browser addon listed as adware) .

NIS would not let me dial out untill I activated it online . I needed to dial out to activate .

This is one of the few times I have had to bring a system back with me .

Anyone else ever have one of these calls ?

and noticed that his PC was up side down .

Next I noticed that the system had 512 megs of ram (-64 for onboard video) , a celeron D , Vista and NIS (on top of a pile of preinstalled junk) . This PC had been out of the box for about 24 hours at this point .

He wanted me to install peoplepc (the ISP that has its browser addon listed as adware) .

NIS would not let me dial out untill I activated it online . I needed to dial out to activate .

This is one of the few times I have had to bring a system back with me .

Anyone else ever have one of these calls ?

I have never tried NIS with dialup.

I can give you Support LiveChat though.

chatsymantec.notlong.com

This is also the search I have for your issue.

http://searchg.symantec.com/search?q=+acti...heet=symc_en_US

It turned out that my client had been sold a floor model that was from the intro of Vista and told that it was new .

I found numerous things that indicated past use including that the location had been set to India .

My first trip to updates (this PC's first and only trip to updates) resulted in a complete system lockup .

This POC is going back to the store for a full refund .

Although I appreciate the offer for support this is not a Symantec issue , it is an issue with the unethical practices of the seller .

My client does have some mental health issues that were exploited . You can't sell a system with that configuration and have a conscience .

Heck those specs are not good enough for XP + NIS .

BTW I added more ram so it would be easier for me to work with and noticed that this system did not even come with dual channel ram , it only had a single 512 stick installed .

You would be surprised as what they are selling. I had a client too that ordered a Vista laptop and it only came with 512mb ram. It ran about 2 hours until it locked up and would just freeze. I sent that one back for her and she got another system for 50 bucks more and got 1 gig of ram and other goodies. She's a happycamper now.

2 gigs is the ideal ram for Vista.

Why not expose the dealer to MS and the local authorities, Better Business Bureau etc? Taking advantage of a mentally challenged person is against the law in some states also and there are agencies that will address it. Was it a legal copy of Windows? This behavior has to be in the top ten of "How Low Can You Go". :P

• 2 months later...
You would be surprised as what they are selling. I had a client too that ordered a Vista laptop and it only came with 512mb ram. It ran about 2 hours until it locked up and would just freeze. I sent that one back for her and she got another system for 50 bucks more and got 1 gig of ram and other goodies. She's a happycamper now.

2 gigs is the ideal ram for Vista.

Actually, 3+ is ideal.

Why not expose the dealer to MS and the local authorities, Better Business Bureau etc? Taking advantage of a mentally challenged person is against the law in some states also and there are agencies that will address it. Was it a legal copy of Windows? This behavior has to be in the top ten of "How Low Can You Go". B)

Yup there are laws and stiff penalties for doing such a thing - your client should *immediately* consult a lawyer (and hope not to get ripped off again).

Can you tell me who the seller was ? I do not want to send any one there if they are unethical and take advantage of any one

Agreed - I'd like to know who the retailer was (of course, it is rather moot if it is a local only store).