Edge vs. Chrome: Microsoft's Tracking Prevention hits Google the hardest

sman

Edge vs. Chrome: Microsoft's Tracking Prevention hits Google the hardest

"https://www.zdnet.com/article/with-its-new-edge-browser-microsoft-takes-dead-aim-at-google/"

On January 15, 2020, Microsoft is scheduled to roll out a completely revamped Edge browser to the general public. That browser, which is available for beta testing now on all supported versions of Windows and MacOS, includes a feature called Tracking Prevention.

If that name sounds familiar, you're not imagining things. Microsoft added a Tracking Protection feature to Internet Explorer 9, back in 2011; it used simple text files called Tracking Protection Lists (TPLs) to allow or block third-party requests from specific domains.

That's the same general principle behind Tracking Prevention in the new Edge, but the implementation is more usable and more sophisticated, with multiple Trust Protection Lists taking the place of a single TPL. I've spent the past week looking closely at this feature. In this post I explain how it works and how it affects your browsing experience. And although it's aimed at the online advertising and tracking industries in general, my tests suggest that its effects are likely to be felt most directly by one company: Google.

1024px-google-chrome-icon-september-2014-svg.png

Yep, I remember TPL's; it was one of my favorite unique features in IE that no other browser had.  The author is wrong by the way; you can actually install and use multiple TPL's in IE and you always have been able to since the feature was first rolled out (I used to use about 5 or 6 plus a custom list of my own that I created).  It was like having HostsMan built into my browser and made for a very clean browsing experience.  Just one more thing I'll miss about IE (and no, I won't be switching to Edge any time soon because MS is as bad (if not worse) as Google these days with regards to spying on users and gathering tons of telemetry data) so I'll be sticking with Iron instead.

No need, at least as far as I'm concerned.  Microsoft is really only concerned with 2 things at this point: collecting all the data under the sun (especially by spying on their users to harvest all of their data on their devices), and beating Google.  It sounds like this browser will help them to accomplish both.  I guarantee this new feature won't be blocking any of Microsoft's telemetry/tracking servers (and they have plenty, just like Google).