COMRuntime Errors or Malware?

schuckb

Hello,

My computer has been painfully slow for months and I have been nibbling around, trying all sorts of things to find the culprit.  Because Malwarebytes and Windows Defender have been finding nothing, I assumed that was not the problem.  Now, having no success, I am coming back at the possibility that I have an infection or something.  Could you help?

Running eventvwr.msc (Event Viewer) In Windows 10 Home, I find many, many errors that state COMRuntime as the source of the error and the event ID as 10031.  My suspicions of an infection come from the fact that, when I search this error, on only the second page of Google hits I start running into links that Malwarebytes flags as unsafe.

Is there any way to know if my slowdown is related to an infection, even if this COMRuntime error is not an infection?  I am running out of ideas.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

B-

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for those logs...

Upload a File to Virustotal

Go to http://www.virustotal.com/

• Click the Choose file button
  • Navigate to the file c:\programdata\{3adf2388-3c12-ff2d-3adf-f23883c18e20}\224525565714383656b.exe
  • Click the Scan it tab
  • If you get a message saying File has already been analyzed: click Reanalyze file now
  • Copy and paste the URL address back here please.

Thank you,

Kevin...

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks

Hello again and thank you again,

I looked for the file you requested so it could be analyzed by Totalvirus but the file (and the folder c:\programdata\{3adf2388-3c12-ff2d-3adf-f23883c18e20} ) did not exist.  I was going to rerun Farbar and Malwarebytes and resend updated log files but time ran out and the thread closed.

So, since we are here please allow me to ask: What next?  Please advise.

Thanks once again,

Bryan

Did you access Programdata folder as is normally hidded, https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9168-show-hidden-files-folders-drives-windows-10-a.html

If that file no longer exits run FRST again as follows:

Run FRST one more time, ensure all boxes are checkmarked under "Whitelist" but only Addition.txt under "Optional scan" Select scan, when done post the new logs. "FRST.txt" and "Addition.txt"

Thank you,

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks