reboot issues

Ok, This is going to sound so ridiculous. So I met with yesterdays issues by uninstalling Malwarebytes and having to reboot one PC 3 times and the other even more. Even after that one had slow down issues more times and required another shutdown to speed up.

Until yesterdays update both these Windows 10 1709 PC's were running just great. It appears they are fine now until you reboot and try and log in as a different user. the PC just hangs and yes, they both do this. If you restart again you can log in as that user but now you can't log in to the previous user without yes, another reboot.

Basically I'm saying you have to reboot 2 times to change users. However you can log in and out of users just fine. this issue is only when you restart. I do this operation regularly so I know it worked fine until the issue yesterday.

Please, has anyone else experienced this? I have used a third party uninstaller to remove all remnants of Malwarebytes.

If anybody has some suggestions, please help.

Edited by AlexSmith
Added spacing to post

Hi @newdude72!! Welcome to the Malwarebytes Forums. I am sorry to hear that you are having some strange issues with multiple user accounts on your PC and our product. 

To get things started, we will need some technical logs to dig in to this issue a little deeper. Please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop.
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

@newdude72 looking at the logs shows Malwarebytes is no longer on that system at all. This really feels like an unrelated issue that may have coincidently occurred near or at the same time.

With that being said, does this behavior occur if you boot in to Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking? Does this behavior occur after creating a new test user account? Knowing that might help clue us in on where to focus next.

Good Morning

I certainly agree this is one heck of a coincidence. With that said this issue is almost exactly the same issue I had when trying to resolve the Malwarebytes issue. The computers started booting after login and just hung. Uninstalling Malwarebytes resolved this issue. Other issues that happened after the Malwarebytes update included changing the screen resolution settings. With that said it was only by coincidence that I even found this log in to different users issue. After hours of reading and investigation and trying to resolve this I found an article that said try turning off fast boot in Power Options, what your power button dose and the problem is gone. I checked 5 other PC's that I help manage for friends that do not have Malware bytes and all of them have this checked and none of them experienced this issue after the update.

So, coincidence, I don't think so. Can I prove it, no and do I thank you for taking the time to help me with this issue. More then you know. People/companies always have integrity when things are good. You have just proven the opposite. For that, after I recover from all these hours this weekend on this issue and the Malwarebytes issues I will reinstall the 6 licensed Malwarebyes that I have.

Thanks so much. You certainly saved me as a customer for life

3 hours ago, newdude72 said:

Good Morning

Good morning to you too!!

After hours of reading and investigation and trying to resolve this I found an article that said try turning off fast boot in Power Options, what your power button dose and the problem is gone. I checked 5 other PC's that I help manage for friends that do not have Malware bytes and all of them have this checked and none of them experienced this issue after the update.

Actually, this is some really good info here if you are talking about the setting I think you are. Going to get a little technical here, so I apologize if it goes too deep. Fast Startup (aka Hybrid-Shutdown or Kernel Hibernation) was introduced with Windows 8 and it changes how Windows handles the Shutdown process. With Fast Startup enabled, pressing Shutdown in any default method closes only the user mode session of Windows and places the kernel mode session in to hibernation. When the PC is powered back on, the kernel mode session is resumed from hibernation and once a user account is selected a new user mode session is established. Performing a Restart on the other hand actually closes the user mode and kernel mode sessions and provides a true full shutdown of Windows in today's world.

On top of that, starting with the Windows 10 Version 1709 (aka the Fall Creators Update) Microsoft also introduced automatically restarting and resuming user mode applications that were running when one performs a Shutdown, Restart/Reboot, or applies a Windows Update that requires a restart if the application supports the feature.

Adding that together, I am wondering if what's going on here is if there is an application, Service, or Driver running on your systems that is not friendly with those features. The best way to triage that would be to see if this hang behavior only occurs when you perform a Shutdown then power back on the system vs. selecting Restart to reboot the system.

So, coincidence, I don't think so. Can I prove it, no and do I thank you for taking the time to help me with this issue. More then you know. People/companies always have integrity when things are good. You have just proven the opposite. For that, after I recover from all these hours this weekend on this issue and the Malwarebytes issues I will reinstall the 6 licensed Malwarebyes that I have.

Thanks so much. You certainly saved me as a customer for life

Thank you for the overly kind words!! I greatly appreciate it and am humbled to hear you will be a customer for life.