Computer real slow

For the past few weeks, it takes forever sometimes for pages to open and things to load. Also for some reason when I click restart it turns off but when it comes back on my pc just keeps spinning sayin getting windows ready do not shut off pc.. I have to click the power button off on tower and turn back on to actually get pc to start up.... Just wanted to say, I needed to turn off Norton to even install FRST it kept blocking it.

FRST.txt

MWB.txt

Addition.txt

Edited by CharlyRenay

• Root Admin

Hello @CharlyRenay and :welcome:

The logs don't show a specific infection - there are some left over elements that we could clean but that does not appear to be your issue. The logs show that Edge and Explorer among other things keeps crashing.

Did this issue start when you started using the Trial of Malwarebytes? I'm asking, to make sure there is no conflict with Norton and Malwarebytes that is new for you.

We might have to do some minor clean up and then have you run some Windows Repair tools

Let me know please.

Thanks

Ron

Hi, no nothing to do with malwarebytes  this started months ago and yes IE and edge do crash I forgot to mention that.  I am pretty sure it started after a windows update but can’t quite remember and not sure what one as it’s updated tons of time after the issues started.

Edited by CharlyRenay
Forgot something

• Root Admin

Please try using DISM to repair the computer.

How to Repair Windows 10 Image using DISM
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7808-use-dism-repair-windows-10-image.html

The computer may have some files or settings that are wrong causing an issue. No guarantee this will fix it. but worth a try.

Ron

• Root Admin

I'm not sure what you're asking or wanting @CharlyRenay

The command should have given you some type of message good, bad, error, etc. at the end of running them.

Looking for specific errors or messages in such large logs without further information is quite time consuming.

What did it say on screen?

Edited by AdvancedSetup

• Root Admin

Okay, let's reset the browsers again then and reboot the computer. Then let me know if you're still having issues with the browsers and if the computer appears to be any better now or not.

I'm heading home now, but will check back on you again later tonight.

Please visit each of the following sites and let's reset all of your browsers back to defaults to prevent unexpected issues.
If you are not using one of the browsers but it is installed then you may want to consider uninstalling it as older versions of some software can pose an increase in the potential for an infection to get in.

Internet Explorer
How to reset Internet Explorer settings

Microsoft Edge
How to Reset Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Firefox
Click on Help / Troubleshooting Information then click on the Refresh Firefox button.

Chrome
Reset Chrome back to defaults to completely clear out issues with Chrome.

• First, go to >> Google Sync << and sign into your account. Make sure you know your password as this will clear it from the browser.
  • Scroll down until you see the  reset_chrome_sync.png "reset sync" button to clear your data from the server and remove your passphrase.
  • Now, close all Chrome windows. Chrome cannot be running for the next step. If needed, print this information or use another browser to read the information.
  • Press the Windows key + R at the same time, to bring up the run dialog box.
    • run_command.png
  • Type in (or copy/paste) the following and press Enter:     %localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\
  1. Press Ctrl + A to select all the files and folders.
  2. Hold down Ctrl + A and click once on the files "Bookmarks" and "Bookmarks.bak". This will unselect them.
  3. With all the files selected (except for your Bookmarks), press the Delete key and click Yes to delete the files and folders.
  4. Example of all files and folders selected, except Bookmarks

chrome_files_folders.png

Restart your computer now and make sure there are no longer any redirects or other browser issues. 

i reset as told to do. IE cleared everything off but kept my favorites after reboot, but edge kept all settings I had and favorites it did clear all passwords though is it suppose to keep my settings as I thought it was to go back to defaults.. my pc is still acting the same way as in not rebooting  when I click on restart it shuts down but when it turns back on it gets stuck at  sayin getting windows ready do not shut off pc..i have to shut it off by the button on the tower and turn it back on.

Also updates are failing and I had no idea until tonight.

not sure if browsers are better or not as it don't crash everyday, it seems like it does every 3 days or so...

• Root Admin

I would get one of the hard drive testing tools and test your hard drive to verify that it's working properly.

https://www.lifewire.com/free-hard-drive-testing-programs-2626183

As for updates failing, you'd probably need to try and contact Microsoft or a site dedicated to Windows issues. The computer does not appear to be infected at this time and basic repair methods that should have corrected it did not seem to work.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10587/windows-10-get-help-with-upgrade-installation-errors

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

Thank You so much for your help:) I appreciate you taking the time to help me..

I did the hard drive test as you asked and all came out fine.

I contacted Microsoft and we did a fresh start of windows 10 and that worked, so all is fine now.

Again, Thank You for your time.

PS.. as I have Norton Antivirus suite do I need to uninstall MWB as I thought you can't have 2  running on same PC..

• Root Admin

No, our product works differently than a traditional antivirus and is designed to work alongside other av products if wanted.

Glad to hear Microsoft was able to get you fixed up.

Have a great upcoming weekend, I'm sure it feels good to have the computer working well again.

Take care

Ron

• Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks