I have a Total Security virus. How do i get rid of it?

It shuts off my computer and restarts it every half hour. I get pop-ups telling me my comuteris infected every several minutes I can barely even type with that poping up in my face. People tell me to download malawarebytes but thats usueless too, beause i get a popup telling me it cant be executed. I cant even download Process Explorer because once again, i get a popup saying i cant execute it.

How in the world am i suppused to get rid of this? All i have access to now is IE. No other program can i open up without the virus telling me it cant execute it.

This is terribly frustrating. :rolleyes: Oh by the way, i have Windows XP.

Here's a few tutorials you can try, and see if they help:

CLB Driver(TDSS/GAOPDX/Seneka/UAC) Blocking MBAM

"AntiVirus360" Rogue Blocking MBAM

"Total Security" Rogue Blocking MBAM

"SystemSecurity" Rogue Blocking MBAM

After getting MBAM working, please follow these instructions (skipping any steps you are unable to complete) for posting in our Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs forum. If you cannot follow any of those steps, then please create a new topic in that forum explaining what happened when you tried to run each of the tools in the instructions, and the expert who helps you will be able to suggest steps to take to get the tools working.

Here's a few tutorials you can try, and see if they help:

CLB Driver(TDSS/GAOPDX/Seneka/UAC) Blocking MBAM

"AntiVirus360" Rogue Blocking MBAM

"Total Security" Rogue Blocking MBAM

"SystemSecurity" Rogue Blocking MBAM

After getting MBAM working, please follow these instructions (skipping any steps you are unable to complete) for posting in our Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs forum. If you cannot follow any of those steps, then please create a new topic in that forum explaining what happened when you tried to run each of the tools in the instructions, and the expert who helps you will be able to suggest steps to take to get the tools working.

Thank you, but they all tell me i need to download something. Mainly Process Explorer which i have tried, but the virus wont let me! :rolleyes:

I cant download ANYTHING now because the virus prevents it. How can i fix this problem if i cant download anything???

• Staff
Thank you, but they all tell me i need to download something. Mainly Process Explorer which i have tried, but the virus wont let me! :rolleyes:

I cant download ANYTHING now because the virus prevents it. How can i fix this problem if i cant download anything???

You'll need to find another pc and download to USB stick. There is no other option really.

Ah okay. Now forgive me for more dumb questions, but what would i be downloading?

If you have not been able to, download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware first. You might also want to download anything you will need for the Total Security tutorial, in case Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware will not run or install.

You'll need to find another pc and download to USB stick. There is no other option really.

I could write a tutorial on how to FTP into the Opera Software server via command-line, and download Opera for Windows. He would most likely then be able to browse and download, but that depends on how the infection is blocking downloads. If they accounted for third-party browsers, then you would be quite right about a flash drive being the only way Tom.

You might also want to download

It wont let me download ANYTHING. Just photos i can save. But i can't even send a photo to an email if i wanted to. It wont even allow me that.

I cant open up Word..i cant open up Notepad. I "almost" cant do anything at all. I certainly cant download any progams what so ever. It blocks them immediately. :rolleyes:

It wont let me download ANYTHING. Just photos i can save. But i can't even send a photo to an email if i wanted to. It wont even allow me that.

I cant open up Word..i cant open up Notepad. I "almost" cant do anything at all. I certainly cant download any progams what so ever. It blocks them immediately. :rolleyes:

I was saying that, if you were to use a flash drive to transfer the utilities from another computer, that those would be the things you would want to download on the unaffected computer.

If that is not going to be possible, then start your computer up in Safe Mode With Networking, and see if you can download utilities that way.

Might Starlite be able to run Process Explorer directly from the web page, from the link in the tutorial?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

If that worked she could then at least manage to turn off Total Security and get Malwarebytes downloaded, updated, and running.

Starlite, I'm not one of the experts here, so wait for an answer from one of them before you do anything. If you do end up running this (after the OK from one of the experts), make sure you know what the Total Security process would look like so you know what process to kill. The picture of it is on the tutorial page:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=12873

I'm having the same problem with Total Security. I've been researching and attempting to fix it for hours, to no avail.

Downloaded and installed MBAM and Process Explorer on flash drive and external hd, but Total Security is blocking all .exe's. As soon as I open the drives and try to run them, it kills the process right away. No chance of turning the tables, because Task Manager is disabled by the virus, even through the RUN function, so I can't stop the .exe for Total Security.

No programs are working, not even IE. Even if it were I can't block the attack websites by entering the HOST file in windows because notepad and every other program are executables.

Can't even run in safe mode, with or without networking, because I get a blue screen telling me there's an error and my computer instantly restarts.

So basically, I have no way to run any programs, access internet, bypass Total Security, or work in Safe Mode on the infected computer.

Anybody know any way around this other than a total reformat?

I'm having the same problem with Total Security. I've been researching and attempting to fix it for hours, to no avail.

Downloaded and installed MBAM and Process Explorer on flash drive and external hd, but Total Security is blocking all .exe's. As soon as I open the drives and try to run them, it kills the process right away. No chance of turning the tables, because Task Manager is disabled by the virus, even through the RUN function, so I can't stop the .exe for Total Security.

No programs are working, not even IE. Even if it were I can't block the attack websites by entering the HOST file in windows because notepad and every other program are executables.

Can't even run in safe mode, with or without networking, because I get a blue screen telling me there's an error and my computer instantly restarts.

So basically, I have no way to run any programs, access internet, bypass Total Security, or work in Safe Mode on the infected computer.

Anybody know any way around this other than a total reformat?

Please follow these instructions (skipping any steps you are unable to complete) for posting in our Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs forum. If you cannot follow any of those steps, then please create a new topic in that forum explaining what happened when you tried to run each of the tools in the instructions, and the expert who helps you will be able to suggest steps to take to get the tools working.

Thanks everyone for your help. This is all very confusing to me, not to mention extremely frustrating. :rolleyes:

How about if i just reformat? I dont care if i lose everything. I can save what i need to save in my email accounts. That said, how does one reformat? is it possible now with a virus such as this?

mfogge, starlite, if you don't mind my asking, what were you doing when all of this started? Do you know how this got into your system in the first place? Such as landing on a bad website or getting redirected from a site found on google, something like that? I'm just wondering what people need to look out for in the way of trying to prevent it.

I sure hope someone comes up with something for this soon, it looks like a bad one.

mfogge, starlite, if you don't mind my asking, what were you doing when all of this started? Do you know how this got into your system in the first place? Such as landing on a bad website or getting redirected from a site found on google, something like that? I'm just wondering what people need to look out for in the way of trying to prevent it.

I sure hope someone comes up with something for this soon, it looks like a bad one.

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to imply you were doing anything wrong, I'm just wondering how this malware gets in. We had a close encounter with a rogue 'antivirus', and that came from landing on what looked like a benign link in google, which ended up redirecting the browser to a malicious website.

It IS a bad one. Worst one i ever had, and I've had some really bad ones in the past. :rolleyes:

You know, I'm not really sure how i got it. I was on so many random sites the other day, but sites that I've never been to before. It wasn't caused by downloading anything, or anything like that. It was simply cause by an unhealthy site, apparently. :D

How about if i just reformat? I dont care if i lose everything. I can save what i need to save in my email accounts. That said, how does one reformat? is it possible now with a virus such as this?

Reformatting will most certainly work.

What kind of computer do you have? HP? Dell? Gateway? Something else?

Reformatting will most certainly work.

What kind of computer do you have? HP? Dell? Gateway? Something else?

"Something else". That's because i have no idea what it is. It was made thru a friend, by a friend. I never bought it at a store. I got it back in early 2001, and a lot of the parts have been replaced since then. I have no idea what it is. Some kind of mutt i guess. :) Its actually been a great computer tho...... :D

I know, thats no help. :rolleyes: All i know is that I am using Windows XP, thats it. :D

If you have not been able to, download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware first. You might also want to download anything you will need for the Total Security tutorial, in case Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware will not run or install.

Hey, i can into safe mode, so would i be able to get into safe mode networking, get online, download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, and scan with that?

Starlite,

You could try that. Nothing to lose by trying anyway. And hopefully that works, that would be so nice and simple! ;) Even if it does, you should start a thread in the Computer Help-Malware Removal-Hijack This Logs part of the forum, and one expert would be working with you there to make sure your system is clean.

Someone at Majorgeeks has this malware, too, and I'm watching his thread to see what happens over there, if someone can come up with a fix for this. I do so hate to see the bad guys win, and as far as I'm concerned, if an innocent person is forced to format his computer, the bad guys win.

Starlite,

You could try that. Nothing to lose by trying anyway. And hopefully that works, that would be so nice and simple! ;) Even if it does, you should start a thread in the Computer Help-Malware Removal-Hijack This Logs part of the forum, and one expert would be working with you there to make sure your system is clean.

Someone at Majorgeeks has this malware, too, and I'm watching his thread to see what happens over there, if someone can come up with a fix for this. I do so hate to see the bad guys win, and as far as I'm concerned, if an innocent person is forced to format his computer, the bad guys win.

Do you have the exact malawarebytes virus remover link? I want to make sure i use the right one when i try this.