DHCP client won't start

dvh

• Root Admin

First try restarting your computer since its in a state that you can't probably easily fix until you do a reboot.

After the reboot let us know if you're still having the issue or what's going on.

Have you scanned for Malware or recently finished cleaning up from a Malware attack?

hi there - thanks for the response

the problem is still there after reboot. i cannot access the internet wirelessly or through a hard wire. yes i have recently finished cleaning my computer of malware and i also have recently scanned my computer - all scans come up clean.

• Root Admin

Well the post got closed because you kept taking to long to reply. You need to keep at it and inform your helper if you're not going to be able to respond for a couple days or so.

We can re-open your thread if you like but you need to keep replying back until the person helping you says you're done.

There are various issues that can cause loss of Internet activity. It could be Malware that is on your system that needs to be removed first, however it could also be from the removal of Malware or similar issues. Step one should be to ensure you remove any Malware from your system first.

Depending on what is wrong there are 3 methods of repair that you can try to re-establish connectivity.

METHOD 1

LSP-Fix

Repairs Winsock 2 settings, caused by buggy or improperly-removed Internet software, that result in loss of Internet access

METHOD 2

WinSock XP Fix 1.2

It can often cure the problem of lost connections after the removal of Adware components or improper uninstall of firewall applications or other tools that modify the XP network and Winsock settings.

If you encounter connection problems after removing network related software, Adware or after registry clean-up; and all other ways fail, then give WinSock XP Fix a try.

METHOD 3

Microsoft KB article to reset TCP/IP

One of the components of the Internet connection on your computer is a built-in set of instructions called TCP/IP. TCP/IP can sometimes become corrupted. If you cannot connect to the Internet and you have tried all other methods to resolve the problem, TCP/IP might be causing it.

Because TCP/IP is a core component of Windows, you cannot remove it. However, you can reset TCP/IP to its original state by using the NetShell utility (netsh)

• 1 year later...