Generates lots of "Aw Snap" errors in Google Chrome

MalwareBytes AntiMalware 3.2.2 (trial)
Windows 7 x64 Home SP-1
Google Chrome 61.0.3163.100 x64
Intel Core 2 quad-core 9400, 8GB RAM, OS & apps on SSD

I was having problems with "Aw Snap" errors in Google Chrome for about 20% of the web pages it loaded, even its internal ones, like chrome:extensions and loading about:blank as the home page.  The errors persist (but in less occurrence) with all Google Chrome extensions disabled; i.e., there was a minimum "noise level" of Aw Snap errors just for Google Chrome (all chrome:flags had been reset to their defaults).

I had installed MBAM (trial so all features were active) before I decided to re-install a fresh copy of Google Chrome (all file and registry remnants had been deleted in the prior uninstall).  Once I realized the Aw Snap errors occurred even with all extensions disabled, I started looking at chrome:flags for what I could change there, like prefetch options.  Nothing there got rid of the Aw Snap errors.  Finally I decided to disable all the real-time protection of MBAM: web protection, exploit protection, malware protection, and ransomware protection.  The very first effect that I noticed was that site connects and [start of] page rendering was noticeably faster in Chrome (and Firefox) with MBAM out of the way.  I noticed no lag caused by Avast free (which was disabled while testing the effect of MBAM).  After disabling all real-time protections in MBAM, I re-enabled Avast which even had its HTTPS interrogation enabled.  No Aw Snap errors with Avast.  

I have 25 years of hardware and software QA so I know how to test.  I spent 3 long days into the wee hours for about 42 hours total working on this.  If I had first tested on MBAM, testing would've been only 1 hour at most.  I made a bad assumption that MBAM couldn't be the cause.  I proved myself wrong.  I should've remembered back from my testing of Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE) that it caused problems.  I wasn't interested in testing MBAM further to see if just disabling MBAE would eliminate the Aw Snap errors.  MBAE and other on-access protections (web, malware, and ransomware) will all going away, anyway, when the trial expires. Based on this and past experiences, I will not be purchasing MBAM.  While Avast has too many false positives on web pages, it has no impact on the performance or reliability of my web connects or page renderings.

MBAM is an excellent 2nd opinion scanner when ran on-demand (a manual scan) but causes too much interference with web browsers.  I will just use the on-demand features in the free version (and also have to do a manual update when I run MBAM) so it doesn't matter the trial will expire.  I really was surprised when all the Aw Snap errors in Google Chrome went away after disabling MBAM's real-time protections but I also noticed page loading was faster without MBAM.

Edited by vanguardlh

• Root Admin

Hello @vanguardlh

Please run the following and post back the logs as an attachment when ready. Make sure all browsers and chat programs, email, etc are closed when running the scans.

Please download AdwCleaner by Malwarebytes and save the file to your Desktop.

• Right-click on the program and select RunAsAdmin.jpg Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • Accept the Terms of use.
  • Wait until the database is updated.
  • Click Scan.
  • When finished, please click Clean.
  • Your PC should reboot now if any items were found.
  • After reboot, a log file will be opened. Copy its content into your next reply.

Next, let's reset your browsers.

Please visit each of the following sites and let's reset all of your browsers back to defaults to prevent unexpected issues.
If you are not using one of the browsers but it is installed then you may want to consider uninstalling it as older versions of some software can pose an increase in the potential for an infection to get in.

Internet Explorer
How to reset Internet Explorer settings

Microsoft Edge
How to Reset Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Firefox
Click on Help / Troubleshooting Information then click on the Refresh Firefox button.

Chrome
Reset Chrome back to defaults to completely clear out issues with Chrome.

• First, go to >> Google Sync << and sign into your account. Make sure you know your password as this will clear it from the browser.
  • Scroll down until you see the  reset_chrome_sync.png "reset sync" button to clear your data from the server and remove your passphrase.
  • Now, close all Chrome windows. Chrome cannot be running for the next step. If needed, print this information or use another browser to read the information.
  • Press the Windows key + R at the same time, to bring up the run dialog box.
    • run_command.png
  • Type in (or copy/paste) the following and press Enter:     %localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\
  1. Press Ctrl + A to select all the files and folders.
  2. Hold down Ctrl + A and click once on the files "Bookmarks" and "Bookmarks.bak". This will unselect them.
  3. With all the files selected (except for your Bookmarks), press the Delete key and click Yes to delete the files and folders.
  4. Example of all files and folders selected, except Bookmarks

chrome_files_folders.png

Restart your computer now and make sure there are no longer any redirects or other browser issues. 

Thanks

Ron

Why would I need to run Adwcleaner?  If MBAM cannot detect and handle those causes of interference then why bother with it?

Sorry, not interested in canned shotgun replies for unfocused troubleshooting.  That's just to keep the customer busy so they think they are focused on troubleshooting the cause.  MBAM on = Many Aw Snap errors in Google Chrome.  MBAM off = No Aw Snap errors ... none!  Pretty obvious the cause.  Stick my head out the moving car's window in winter and it's cold, bring it inside and close the window and it's warm, don't have to shower and change my clothes to determine why my head was cold.  Also remember that I could detect slowed delivery of web content with MBAM active (and faster when MBAM is disabled) so MBAM's web traffic interrogation is slowing delivery sufficiently for me to notice.  The lag is small but noticeable. 

Besides, the trial will expire so all the real-time protections will disappear anyway.  MBAM is now configured with all of its real-time protections disabled so it no longer interferes with any web browser (i.e., MBAM is not running), and that's how MBAM will cripple itself after the trial expires.  This post was more to announce interference by MBAM with Google Chrome by incurring Aw Snap errors when it tries to load a new tab page.  I don't need to troubleshoot further.  Cause determined, cause nullified.

Thanks for offering your assistance, though.

Edited by vanguardlh

• Root Admin

Okay I'll close your topic then and wish you well. Sorry  but canned topic replies work for thousands of users and no one has time to hand pick through the junk for free. That's why there are canned replies. If anything is left over, then you hand pick.

Have a great day.

Thank you