Can't install Malwarebytes, "this app has been blocked for your protection"

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One more thing (sorry, hopefully we're getting closer). Can you take a screenshot of the security tab again, but this time click on each group? Your first screenshot shows the Authenticated Users, but can you screenshot the permissions for System, Administrators, and Users?

That's look good, can you use the following tool to check the certificates on the machine? We believe that the proc error and the "not allowed to run" error are related.

1. Download Sigcheck from https://live.sysinternals.com/sigcheck.exe
  2. Open a command prompt window by pressing Windows Key + R and clicking Ok
  3. In the window, change to the folder where you downloaded the file from step by typing cd PATH
    • For example, if you downloaded the file to your desktop, type cd %USERPROFILE%\Desktop or cd %USERPROFILE%\Downloads if the file is in your Downloads folder
  4. Now type sigcheck -tv >> signatures.txt
    • You will be prompted to accept the EULA
  5. Upload the signatures.txt file from step 4

Ok, after speaking with some engineers about these, we are fairly confident the installer proc issue is a permissions issue, which aligns with the "you are blocked" message you get when running the installer normally.

If you haven't made a thread in the Malware Removal Section yet, let's start there: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/7-malware-removal-for-windows/

The Malware Removal Experts in that forum are really good at cleaning off infections from machines and helping you get your machine back to running how it should. I would make a new thread and post your FRST logs so they can take a look and see if they believe it's infected. Once we are sure the machine is free from infection, then we can figure out what's going on with MB3.

• Staff

@Mohamed3on

Can you try something for me before we do anything else?  Uninstall the Internet Download Manager via Control Panel > Programs and features, reboot.

Now please download a fresh installer from here https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3  and make sure you are double clicking the new one you've downloaded

Is it still the same message?

5 hours ago, Ried said:

@Mohamed3on

Can you try something for me before we do anything else?  Uninstall the Internet Download Manager via Control Panel > Programs and features, reboot.

Now please download a fresh installer from here https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3  and make sure you are double clicking the new one you've downloaded

Is it still the same message?

Hi Reid, 

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, it's the same problem, yes.

8 hours ago, dcollins said:

Ok, after speaking with some engineers about these, we are fairly confident the installer proc issue is a permissions issue, which aligns with the "you are blocked" message you get when running the installer normally.

If you haven't made a thread in the Malware Removal Section yet, let's start there: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/7-malware-removal-for-windows/

The Malware Removal Experts in that forum are really good at cleaning off infections from machines and helping you get your machine back to running how it should. I would make a new thread and post your FRST logs so they can take a look and see if they believe it's infected. Once we are sure the machine is free from infection, then we can figure out what's going on with MB3.

Alright.

Just FYI, before trying to install mb3, I actually had it installed and working well. Then one day it stopped working and gave me "Unable to run the service" whenever I started it, that's why I uninstalled/tried to reinstall.

• Staff

Thank you.  I need some time to go over this very long thread and summarize what has been done thus far, and in what order. This will help me determine my next course of action.

From what I see in the mb-check-results.zip, 3.0.6 is installed, it will scan, but none of the protection is running, correct?

Just now, Ried said:

Thank you.  I need some time to go over this very long thread and summarize what has been done thus far, and in what order. This will help me determine my next course of action.

From what I see in the mb-check-results.zip, 3.0.6 is installed, it will scan, but none of the protection is running, correct?

No, it's not installed.

I'm not sure if the zip file you read is correct. I reuploaded it just in case.

mb-check-results.zip

1 minute ago, Ried said:

It had to have installed at some point, otherwise I wouldn't see the logs and mbamservice folder.  Let me go over this thread, I need to figure out at what point it did partially install.

It was installed but had been uninstalled because it wasn't starting.