I CANNOT INSTALL MALWARE BYTES BECAUSE OF "system resource is in use"

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, press on the Windows + R keys, enter services.msc and press on Enter. In the Services window, look for Cryptographic Services, right-click on it, select Properties and change the Startup Type to Disabled. Once done, restart your computer and try to rename the folder.

Sorry for the delay, I just found an old post of mine for that issue. In the command prompt (with Admin Rights, of course), before using the ren command to rename the catroot2 folder, enter these commands (1 by 1):

net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits

So the full set of commands would be:

net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptsvc
net stop bits
ren C:\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
net start bits
net start cryptsvc
net start wuauserv

Good. Now follow the instructions under the "Verify" paragraph, and give me a screenshot of the command prompt once the esentutl command is done running.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc734083(v=ws.10).aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

net stop cryptsvc
esentutl /g C:\Windows\System32\catroot2\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\catdb
net start cryptsvc

Well, the "issue" is still present, though from my understanding, it probably was before you were infected, as the malware you were infected with doesn't cause it. For now, if it doesn't cause you any issues, it's fine.

How's your system behaving now? Are there any other malware-related issues left to address that you can see?