PowerPoint does not work with MB 3.0

Since installing Malwarebytes 3.0, PowerPoint crashes on opening (multiple machines) if the Protected Application for PowerPoint is turned on. It took me about 3 days to narrow down the problem, but it is definitely MB 3.0. Turning off the Protected Application removes the crashing immediately. Turning it back on causes constant crash - and on multiple PCs.

Is there a fix planned?

MB PPT.jpg

• Staff

Hello FredGreco,

We have been seeing a few reports of this. Do you mind collecting some logs for our developers to take a closer look into this? 

I want to have you collect two logs from these directories after you trigger the alert again:

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\mbae-default.txt

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs\MBAMSERVICE.txt

The directory is hidden by default so you might have to click on "View -> Hidden items" in Explorer to see it.   There is also a post here from Microsoft on how to do this for the more recent OS: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14201/windows-show-hidden-files

Along with that we want to collect some more information from the computer to see what else is installed. We want to rule out any conflicts. To do this:

1: Please download FRST from the link below and save it to your desktop:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

2: Double-click the purple FRST icon to run the program. Click Yes when the disclaimer appears.

3: Click the Scan button

4: When the scan has finished, it will make 2 log files in the same directory the tool is run, FRST.txt and Addition.txt. Please attach both files in your reply.

I'm still not sure I understand. You asked for these two logs/files:

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\mbae-default.txt

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs\MBAMSERVICE.txt

I don't see any txt files there (as indicated above). There are .log files in those locations - mbae-default.log and MBAMSERVICE.log. I've attached those. Let me know if these are what you are looking for.

mbae-default.log

MBAMSERVICE.LOG

• Staff

Hello Fred,

That was my mistake. The log file type is different in the standalone version compared to mb3. However, thank you for those logs. I am getting this sent over to our development team to look into this further. Just as additional information from another thread, can you find what build of power-point you are on currently? We have been seeing reports of this happening on the latest version so I want to confirm that information from you. 

2 minutes ago, Rsullinger said:

Hello Fred,

That was my mistake. The log file type is different in the standalone version compared to mb3. However, thank you for those logs. I am getting this sent over to our development team to look into this further. Just as additional information from another thread, can you find what build of power-point you are on currently? We have been seeing reports of this happening on the latest version so I want to confirm that information from you. 

No problem. I have PowerPoint version 1611 Build 7571.2075 (which I believe is the latest).

I have experienced the same issue running Windows 10 and Microsoft Office 2016 with Malwarebytes v2016.12.27.03

I uninstalled and reinstalled MS Office and get the same issue.  Microsoft support indicates that this is a problem with Malwarebytes.  Is there a fix for this?

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Opening-PowerPoint-2016-with-Malwarebytes-3-0-you-get-a-Stopped-working-error-or-crash-72bee412-89d4-42e3-b7cb-15a33dbaa618

Edited by Rimfaxe

Hey all,

I've been having this exact issue. Very frustrating, but Rsullinger, when you mentioned anti-exploit, that prompted me to look there. When I went to shields, and disabled the shield on powerpnt.exe, that seemed to make all the difference. Power Point starts perfectly fine, now. I'll post back later if it turns out to be premature celebration.

• 3 weeks later...