Scan locks up

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks! While I'm looking these over, have you upgraded to 3.0.5 yet? We released it yesterday, and until next week it requires a manual install. If you want to try upgrading before then, feel free to download the latest MB3 from this link. You should be able to install this directly over the existing MB3 installation, but it may be helpful to uninstall first and then re-install the newer version.

Is there a different zip file on your desktop? Something that has todays date in the filename? The one you sent over has the procmon log from earlier.

Edited by dcollins

FYI, I just downloaded version 3.0.5 and am now able to do a threat scan.

It did get stuck once again on an AOL file (see below) as it did in version 3.0.4 last week.

Last week, Lisa told me to add the AOL folders to MBAM's exclusion list until fix can be found and try threat scan again and scan did finish after that.

I am concerned about hundreds of AOL files not being scanned but can do that until a fix is found if you like.

Ver 305_Threat Scan Screenshot 12-20-16.png

The scan also stops at files in the AOL Downloads folder if you check the screenshot in message ID#6 on page 1 of this chain.

There are hundreds of files in those two folders, can you be more specific which files you need?

FYI, I attached one file (tsverchk.dll) that caused the scanner to hang up earlier today and I tried to attach a copy of the AOL file which the scanner last stopped on today but it is a 0 KB file so I could not attach it.

A screenshot of that and other files in that folder is below:

Ver 3_0_5 Threat Scan 3rd Screenshot 12-20-16.png 

tsverchk.zip

Thanks for sending us that file @TOH. Unfortunately that file scans fine for us. If you don't mind, now that we're back to your original issue, we'd like to try and grab a memory dump again. I've attached a zip file that has a registry file in it. Please run the registry file, and then start a scan. Once the scan locks up, wait about 10 minutes, and then look for the folder c:\mb_crashdumps and zip up anything inside of there. Then please upload that file here.

I tested this locally and didn't have the same issue as last time where the scan would no longer run. So this should work properly for you. Thanks in advance, your willingness to work so diligently with us is helping a whole lot.

localdumps_mbamservice.reg.zip

Ok, we were thinking maybe there was a crash happening but it looks like that's not the case. Can you please follow the instructions below to grab an in-memory dump of the issue.

1. Download ProcessExplorer from Sysinternal using the following link: https://live.sysinternals.com/procexp.exe
  2. Run ProcessExplorer.exe
  3. Click on File -> Show Processes for All Users and choose Yes on the UAC prompt
    Note: This step may not be necessary. If you don't see the "Show Processes for All Users" option in the file menu, you can skip to step 4
  4. Start a scan with Malwarebytes
  5. Once the scan sticks, wait for 5-10 minutes
  6. With the scan still stuck, go back to ProcessExplorer and look for MBAMService.exe in the list
  7. Right click MBAMService.exe and choose Create Dump -> Create Full Dump...
  8. Save the file to your desktop
    Note: The dump file will most likely be very large. You won't see too much happening, but wait about 30 seconds and then you can close Process Explorer
  9. Right click the dump file you created and choose Send To -> Compressed (Zip) Folder
  10. Go to https://wetransfer.com and click on the free option
  11. Click Add Your Files and choose the zip file from step 9
  12. Put in my email address (dcollins@malwarebytes.com) for the Email To address
  13. Click transfer
    Note: It may take a few minutes to upload the file

This should send me the file so we can provide it to our developers to see what's happening

Ok, that at least confirms that there is a crash happening, now we just have to figure out why a crash dump isn't being created. I've attached another registry file that should hopefully create a crash dump this time. Please double click this registry file to add the contents to your registry and then follow the steps again. Once the scan hang happens, wait for 5-10 minutes and then check in c:\mb_crashdumps. Upload any files that may be in that folder

localdumps_mbamservice.zip