Virus changes files into .B722 and creates random names for these files

Hello,
I have a problem with my PC.
I picked up a virus somewhere and now it changed all my files (jpg, pdf...) into random names and
they all have a file extension .B722 .
I've also formated my  C:/ hard disk, but these files are on D:/.
I hoped by formating that the problem would be solved, but it isn't.

If you have a solution, please help.
Kind regards,
Novokmet Mirza

• Root Admin

Hello @MrNovokmet and :welcome:

I'm not familiar with that extension by one of the Encryption attacks. You can try uploading an example file here to see if they can identify which attack it's from.

https://id-ransomware.malwarehunterteam.com/index.php

In most recent cases the encryption works very well and cannot be decoded without paying the ransom. There are recovery methods for some attacks but not many. The best option is to have good solid backups of your data. Then FDISK, FORMAT all partitions on the drive and reinstall Windows from known clean installation media.

Then restore the data one the computer has been rebuilt and is known to now be clean and running antivirus to protect it.

Please give the link above a try to see if you can detect what attack it's from, or if you just want to clean the drives and need help let me know.

Thank you

Ron

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again,

thank you for the reply.

I'll send you an exapmle of a folder that was encrypted, acctually all of my files were encrypted
and every folder is composed of such files the ''.b722'' files and a ''README'' file.

I would like to find a way to restore those files, because I have files that are very important, such as a half finished Master thesis, etc.

Kind regards,
Novokmet Mirza

sektor most.rar

• Root Admin

I'm sorry, but this is the "Cerber Ransomware" infection, and there are no known methods to decrypt the files and restore them at this time.

You may read more about it here:

The Cerber Ransomware not only Encrypts Your Data But Also Speaks to You

Cerber Ransomware – New, But Mature