MBAE V1.09.1.1225 Hangs when stopping protection

siliconman01

This applies to Windows 10x64 Pro Build 14393.321 with 3 monitors controlled by DisplayFusion V8.1 Pro Beta 2 and MBAE V1.09.1.1225.  All settings on MBAE are the default values.  

When I "Stop Protection" of MBAE, the Start Menu no longer opens and the taskbar plus the notification tray on the primary monitor becomes inactive.  The notification center issues the sound but not the message that protection has been stopped for MBAE.  I cannot open the Start Menu from any of the taskbars on any of the monitors.  However, the DisplayFusion taskbars on monitor 2 and 3 are fully operational.  The desktop on all monitors are active as well.  

If I restart MBAE protection via the right click menu on a MBAE icon in the notification tray of monitor 2 or 3, I can get back full functionality of the Start Menu and of the primary monitor's taskbar and notification tray.  Also this releases the notification center to display the "hung up" that protection was stopped on MBAE

The issue has been present on previous versions of MBAE but I did not report it thinking that it would be corrected as new versions came out. 

I have gone through the uninstall/clean using mbae-clean tool/re-install exercise to no avail.  It does not occur on my single monitor Windows 10x64 Pro systems (they are a different hardware platform but the software is basically the configuration except DisplayFusion is not used.)  

41 minutes ago, Rsullinger said:

Hello Siliconman01,

I want to have you collect the logs for me. Can you try reproducing the issue again and once it does it, collect the logs from this post:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/144403-readme-first-posts-here-need-to-include-mbae-logs/

Attached are the requested data and logs.  This issue is 100% reproduceable on my system.  The problem of the hang releases itself after about 60 seconds and the system goes back to normal operation.  That's something that I had not noticed until just now as I was duplicating the issue and collecting this info per your request.  

Siliconman01Logs&ProgramData.zip

• Staff

Hello,

Thank you for the logs. I wanted to ask some basic diagnostic questions just so I have all of the information. With the Norton you have installed, if you disable this does it also fix the issue? Also, if you don't have it enabled from the beginning does it cause the issue? Also, do you have the link to the software so I can test it? I have 3 monitors to test on my side to try and replicate the issue. 

1 hour ago, Rsullinger said:

Hello,

Thank you for the logs. I wanted to ask some basic diagnostic questions just so I have all of the information. With the Norton you have installed, if you disable this does it also fix the issue? Also, if you don't have it enabled from the beginning does it cause the issue? Also, do you have the link to the software so I can test it? I have 3 monitors to test on my side to try and replicate the issue. 

Disabling Norton Security Auto-Protect and Firewall does not stop the problem.  MBAE still hangs.  

If I boot the system with MBAE protection disabled, there is no problem.  Everything works fine.  Also I can then enable MBAE protection and all works fine.  Of course, if I then disable MBAE protection, it hangs.

Displayfusion V8.1 Beta 2 can be downloaded at:

http://www.displayfusion.com/Download/Beta/

I have attached an MS Word document showing the settings that I run on DisplayFusion

DisplayFusion.zip

I get this same issue and reported it some time ago.  It happens with any version of MBAE and is easily reproducible and I understood from PMs with Mickael that it is a known issue.  I just have Defender AV.

What is interesting is that Siliconman01 has discovered that the system recovers after about 100 seconds, which is good to know.  Previously, the only way I could recover is to ctrl/alt/del and log out.

11 hours ago, John A said:

I get this same issue and reported it some time ago.  It happens with any version of MBAE and is easily reproducible and I understood from PMs with Mickael that it is a known issue.  I just have Defender AV.

What is interesting is that Siliconman01 has discovered that the system recovers after about 100 seconds, which is good to know.  Previously, the only way I could recover is to ctrl/alt/del and log out.

Certainly glad to hear that I am not alone on this issue.  I did totally uninstall DisplayFusion and the MBAE hang issue continued to happen, so it does not appear to be caused by DF.